PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I messed up my USB thumb install somehow

virgodave61
June 10th, 2015, 05:50 PM
When I run Ubuntu off my USB thumbdrive, I keep getting error messages saying that I'm out of memory space.
Then if I check it with gparted I have one partition labeled sdb1, Fat32, 5GB used and 14.44 free, with boot/lba
under flags, does anyone know what I did wrong or how to fix it.
Thanks in advance,
Dave

yancek
June 10th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Can you post the specific error/warning message? Memory is not the same as hard drive space or space available on your flash drive.

virgodave61
June 10th, 2015, 08:27 PM
It says " This computer has only 88.1 MB disk space remaining", like I said I'm running off a USB thumb drive.
Computer properties say 3.7 GB used and 186.3 MB free, the thumb drive is a 14 GB partition.
The hard drive, which isn't in use because its running on the thumb drive says 16GB used and 132 GB free.
Thanks,
Dave

ubfan1
June 10th, 2015, 11:34 PM
Sounds like you might have use "persistent" on the creation of the 16G live media. Now the FAT filesystem is limited to a maximum file size of 4G, so the writeable part of your install is a 4G file named casper-rw. You can get around this limit by making an ext2 partition (or ext4 with journaling turned off) bigger than 4G with the label "casper-rw". Also, although I have not done this, is to make another file called home-rw or something like that for another 4G of storage for your home directory. There are several threads here or questions in askubuntu on setting this up, it's not hard.

C.S.Cameron
June 11th, 2015, 12:46 AM
+1

casper -rw is similar to a / partition on a full install,
home-rw is similar to having a /home partition on a full install.
Either can exist as files or partitions on a persistent install.
The files are limited to 4GB, (being FAT32), the partitions, (being ext4, 3 or 2), are unlimited.
It sounds like you may have tried doing a software update,
this is a no-no with persistent drives as it quickly fills the persistence files/partitions.
You can mount the casper-rw and home-rw files to delete stuff, booting fron a second install of linux.

virgodave61
June 11th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Wow guys thanks that will get get me going, I'm sure. If I have to I will start over at least I know what not to do.
Thanks!
Dave