PDA

View Full Version : syntax error... need help with java

sypher2
June 10th, 2015, 03:24 AM
So I'm following this book, "Head First : Java", and it covers Java 5.0. I think that may be where my problem lies, because I am trying to run this program directly from the book, and I am getting a syntax error. I understand what its saying, but im trying to figure out why this book wanted me to do it this way in the first place, and then figure out what I can do to solve this.

So here's what's happening, I run this program, and its an infinite loop. The 3 players guesses are never considered true/correct, even though they guess the same number as the random number. The game should end , but it doesnt. it stays on an infinite loop. I will post three different classes all pertaining to this game.

public class GameLauncher {
public static void main(String[] args){

GuessGame game = new GuessGame();
game.startGame();
}
}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

public class Player {
int number = 0;

public void guess() {
number = (int) (Math.random() * 10);
System.out.println("Im guessing " + number);
}
}
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
public class GuessGame {
Player p1;
Player p2;
Player p3;
public void startGame(){
p1 = new Player();
p2 = new Player();
p3 = new Player();
int guessp1 = 0;
int guessp2 = 0;
int guessp3 = 0;
boolean p1isRight = false;
boolean p2isRight = false;
boolean p3isRight = false;

int targetNumber = (int) (Math.random() * 10);
System.out.println("I'm thinking of a number between 0 and 9. . .");

while(true){
System.out.println("Number to guess is " + targetNumber);
p1.guess();
p2.guess();
p3.guess();

guessp1 = p1.number;
System.out.println("Player one guessed " + guessp1);
guessp2 = p2.number;
System.out.println("Player two guessed " + guessp2);
guessp3 = p3.number;
System.out.println("Player three guessed " + guessp3);

if (guessp1 == targetNumber){
p1isRight = true;
} if (guessp2 == targetNumber){
p2isRight = true;
} if (guessp3 == targetNumber){
p3isRight = true;
}
if (p1isRight || p2isRight || p3isRight){
System.out.println("We have a winner!");
System.out.println("Player one got it right? " + p1isRight);
System.out.println("Player two got it right " + p2isRight);
System.out.println("Player three got it right" + p3isRight);
System.out.println("Game is over!");
} else {
System.out.println("Players will have to try again");
}
}
}
}

trent.josephsen
June 10th, 2015, 01:13 PM
First, the Head First books are great -- I have not personally used the Java one, but I think I can still say good choice.

I downloaded the code for the book from here (http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfjava/) and there is a difference between their GuessGame class and yours. I didn't find it in the errata for the book (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/errata.csp?isbn=9780596009205), so maybe you just copied it out wrong.

(BTW, a "syntax error" is something you might get if you misplaced a parenthesis -- your code wouldn't compile. What you have is a "logic error": the code compiles, but doesn't do what you want. Better known as a "bug" and sometimes referred to as a "feature".)

sypher2
June 10th, 2015, 04:49 PM
ah yes I should not have titled this "Syntax error", I see that now. thankyou for explaining that to me :)
ok so, i downloaded what you downloaded to compare and make sure its the same as the book and yes it is. So i tried finding my error but i could not. I assume my error is in the area of where the random number is created, or where the players guesses are. could you please point out my mistake please?

spjackson
June 10th, 2015, 05:06 PM
In the download, after

System.out.println("Game is over");

there is a break statement which exits the while (true) loop. What you posted does not have this and therefore does not exit that loop.

sypher2
June 10th, 2015, 07:12 PM
ah i see.. it doesnt have a break in the book. Maybe its because my book only covers Java 5?? :/

trent.josephsen
June 11th, 2015, 01:27 AM
No version of Java will magically break out of infinite loops ;-)

If the break is missing in the book, it's a mistake in the book. I encourage you to submit a report to the errata page I linked earlier. It's not uncommon for things to be accidentally deleted while a book is being prepared for printing. Having a report in the errata not only helps O'Reilly to fix it in future editions, but lets other people know what should have been there.