PDA

View Full Version : GRUB Supercedes rEFInd on Mac OS X - pastebin data for analysis

Tim_Johnson
June 7th, 2015, 12:46 AM
I have a 2011 Mac Mini with 8 GB RAM and OS X 10.7.5. rEFInd is installed on the OS X partition at etc/EFI/refind.
Ubuntu 14.04 is installed on the main hard drive.
(diskutil dump to follow). I lost the ability to boot into ubuntu. Then I booted with SuperGRUB2 using the hybrid ISO dd'd to a thumbdrive.

I was able to use SuperGRUB2 to boot ubuntu, then installed and ran boot-repair. Now, the grub window is the default when I boot
the mac. OS X is included as an item in the GRUB menu, but will not boot from GRUB - I get an error message.

I can boot OS X by using Boot Manager (holding down alt/option key immediately on startup) and choosing the first EFI device.
Although I have a working dual-boot again, I'd like to have an analysis and clean-up of my current configuration.

Pastebin data from boot-repair is at this URL : http://paste.ubuntu.com/11610065/

Below is the diskutil dump :

linus:~ tim$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Linus 359.2 GB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data 41.9 GB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data 68.9 GB disk0s4
5: Microsoft Basic Data 20.9 GB disk0s5
6: Microsoft Basic Data 8.4 GB disk0s6
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1
1: Linux UbuntuBackup 125.8 GB disk1s1
2: DOS_FAT_32 OsXchng 62.9 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_HFS MacBackup 311.4 GB disk1s3

Notes : The four partitions on disk0 that are given Microsoft Basic Data as a the TYPE hold ubuntu as four partitions /, home, usr/local, and swap, in that order.
disk1 is an external backup USB drive.

I would like to have rEFInd as a default (rather than GRUB), as it was after the original install of ubuntu.
Thanks

tim