PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] New install over Ubuntu 8.04

chris389
May 30th, 2015, 02:06 AM
I have an older Dell D610. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 a few days ago. Then found out it was a very old version. I have nothing saved on it other than a couple bookmarks. So no files to lose.

I would like a newer version and was told to downloaded LXLE iso. Then I burned it to disk as ISO disk.

Can I just do a completely new install of this LXLE over the Ubuntu 8.04 or do I have to go through all of the upgrades one step at a time?

Thank you Chris

BlinkinCat
May 30th, 2015, 02:19 AM
I have an older Dell D610. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 a few days ago. Then found out it was a very old version. I have nothing saved on it other than a couple bookmarks. So no files to lose.

I would like a newer version and was told to downloaded LXLE iso. Then I burned it to disk as ISO disk.

Can I just do a completely new install of this LXLE over the Ubuntu 8.04 or do I have to go through all of the upgrades one step at a time?

Thank you Chris

Hi,

You can simply install over the top of your 8.04

I would suggest you follow this guide taking particular note of checking hashes - Good luck...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

chris389
May 30th, 2015, 02:29 AM
Thank you so much. I will give this a try later this evening. I have to go out and paint right now. I think it would be better to have the updated than trying to bring the older version forward issue by issue.

Chris

chris389
May 30th, 2015, 02:47 AM
OK I just had to look what Hashes are. I am clueless. I see a string of numbers with upgrades. Will there be a place I need to enter the numbers for the LXLE? If so I did not find the hashes for that.

Thank you Chris

grahammechanical
May 30th, 2015, 02:56 AM
I have never bothered with any of that. It is there to confirm that the download of the ISO image was complete and accurate. Just download the ISO image, burn it to DVD/USB and run a live session. When you decide to install just click Install Lubuntu and you will get a screen that gives you these options

Install Lbuntu Alongside them [that is other operating systems]
Erase Disk and Install Lubuntu
Encrypt the new Lubuntu installation for security
Use LVM with the new Lubuntu installation
Something Else.

Select Erase Disk and Install Lubuntu and the installer will take care of everything just like it did before. Unless you want to experiment with the something Else option where you have to select which partition to put Lubuntu in and set some other stuff.

Regards

chris389
May 30th, 2015, 03:00 AM
Thank you so much. I will NOT bother with some thing else. I do not know enough to do so. The 8.04 went smoothly so hoping the LXLE will too. I will paint fast so I can do this this evening.

Chris

chris389
May 30th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Thank you again. I believe I have managed the install. Loving the grainery on the cliff. We have one just like it here in town so I feel very much at home.

I have one more question. I need a tutorial on where to find things on this OS. LXLE 12.04.5. The only one I can find is white font on black background and is so hard for me to read. Actually having eye surgery Monday to help my 20/60 eye problem.

Any suggestion for a link would be great. I have googled over and over.

Thank you chris

chris389
May 30th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Never mind I found it. The internet. LOL Guess some one can mark this one solved and Thank you so much for the help.

Chris

Bashing-om
May 30th, 2015, 09:34 PM
chris389; Hello;

You do good work ! Pleased it is all installed and you know where to find the help you may need.

Marking a thread solved is something only you can do, as it is at you direction when resolution has been reached:
Please mark this thread solved;
aides others seeking the solution,
helps keep the forum clean and
precludes others miss-directing efforts to aid.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads

In essence -> 1st post; thread tools.

happy trails to you

chris389
May 30th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Thank you Bashing-om for the solved directions.

I had great information here and have marked the page should I get stuck again. I am not good enough to give advice. I can follow directions. Excited to be into a new adventure. Just wish the old computer were a little bit faster. LOL

Bashing-om
May 31st, 2015, 12:16 AM
chris389; Welll .....

We are here to help . Help in whatever is .....

I am not good enough to give advice.

Hang in here, you will be. All it takes is using this operating system, a bit of time and a little effort.

Just wish the old computer were a little bit faster. LOL

What did you install ? .. Hey, might want to consider an even lighter distribution . There are releases for that condition - I sure do recommend puppy if the case calls for it.

everyday is an adventure

it is all in what you make it

chris389
May 31st, 2015, 01:18 AM
I installed LXLE 12/04.5. It is a Del D610 Intel Pentium (R) M processor 1.60 GHzwith 2048Ram. I upgraded the ram from 512 a couple years ago.

When went looking for this information a small window popped up with Catfish on the top of it.

I am open to changing ubuntu versions. There still is nothing on the new install. I had house/yard chores to do before I play. ;). If it would be the same kind of install I just did I guess I only need to find the Puppy down load.

Thank you chris

Bashing-om
May 31st, 2015, 01:48 AM
chris389; Hey;

I installed LXLE
??

Try as BlinknCat suggested:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

"Lubuntu is a faster, more lightweight and energy saving variant of Ubuntu using LXDE, the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment. It is targeted at "normal" PC and laptop users running on low-spec hardware."

puppy is but one of several very light distributions. You can check it out here:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

all for 1

one for all

chris389
May 31st, 2015, 02:34 AM
I double checked my down load and it is Ubuntu LXLE. Supposed to be a lighter version for old machines. My ISP tech told me to try it.
http://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions/lxle

And maybe I had that 5 wrong. It might be a 3. I hate not being able to see, I have cataracts.

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/lxle/lxle-12.04.3/

The puppy looks really interesting. Especially for the really old machines I still have that run great just so slow. We are the household of very old laptops. I got rid of 2 and still have 4 really old and 2 kind of old.

More work to get done tonight. Thank you so much for your help.

Bashing-om
May 31st, 2015, 02:47 AM
chris389; Well;

based on the description of LXLE

Based on Lubuntu Linux to ensure a fast capable desktop for aging computers.

I can not see that you would do any better if you installed (L)ubuntu.
And thanks for the links, I may have an opportunity to install LXLE for others, see what it runs like on old hardware.

keep up the good work

chris389
May 31st, 2015, 07:55 PM
Thanks Bashing-om. I was taking a break and reading about Puppy. There are so many versions. Is there a recommended version for my situation?

Chris

Bashing-om
May 31st, 2015, 08:18 PM
chris389; Whellll ...

There are many choices out there, there is no one best . Just what works best for you. The only way to know " what is best for you" is to try them and see.
For instances:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-lightweight-linux-distributions-give-pc-lease-life/
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/8-of-the-best-tiny-linux-distros-683552
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/

And there are many more.

'cause

no one size fits all

Mike_Walsh
May 31st, 2015, 11:40 PM
Hallo, Chris, and...heya, Bashing! Nice to see you recommending my favourite little distro... If it's OK with you, I'm going to jump in here with a wee bit of advice.

@Chris:-

As far as Puppy goes, well; there were, at the last count, over 400 versions and 're-spins' of Puppy. There is certain to be a version that will work perfectly for your machine..

Going by your machine's specs, I see you have 512 MB (half a Gig) of RAM. For ANY Puppy, that's plenty. It's a little bit borderline, even for Lubuntu (no disrespect, Bashing). Most Puppies average about 180-220 MB.

I'm going to make 3 recommendations here. Try these 3 'Pups', and see how you get on with them...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) One of the most recent releases, 'Tahrpup' 6.02. It's based on Ubuntu 'Trusty Tahr', and has access to the 'Trusty' repositories. You can get it here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/

Fourth entry from the bottom; 'tahr 6.02_pae.iso'. Download, burn to disc, and try it live. You can then install from the LiveCD.

2) A version for older hardware; 'Wary' 5.5. It works well with older , lower-spec equipment. You can get this from here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.5/

Third entry from bottom; 'Wary-5.5.iso'. Download, burn, etc., as above.

3) 'Slacko' 5.7.0. It's been fully developed by a small team from the Puppy community, and is very popular with many 'Puppians'. You can get it from here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-slacko-5.7/

Second entry from bottom; 'Slacko 5.7.0_PAE.iso'. Download, etc., as above.

And finally, the 'Puppy' forums.....where you will find all the advice and help you could wish for:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php

I guarantee one of these three will work wonders with your old Dell. I have an even older Dell, an 1100, from 2002, running Tahrpup. She's been seriously upgraded since I got her, many years ago; Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD instead of a 20 GB. But she runs the newest release quite happily. And the beauty of Puppy is that it's so versatile; it'll run from a USB stick; hard drive, as a 'frugal' install; it'll even boot from a floppy disk, or even a 'zip' drive.....almost anything.

I will echo Bashing here (and many others on the Forum); it really is a case of 'use what works best for you'. It's impossible to recommend anything specific. Experiment, and.....have fun!

Regards,

Mike. ;)

Bashing-om
May 31st, 2015, 11:57 PM
Mike_Walsh;
o/ :)
So good you dropped in !

a good deed in

in good time

Mike_Walsh
June 1st, 2015, 12:15 AM
Hiya, Bashing!

Well, that's what we're all here for, isn't it? To either get help, or to give it. And I've had so much help when I started out, it only seems fair to help out in return where I'm able to.....

I make no 'bones' about it (*groan*.....couldn't resist that!); I'm an unashamed 'Puppy' fan! :D I know one or two others on here who might disagree with me, though:-

Side note on Puppy: I remember those fun filled days working with you on Puppy and Samba-TNG. It was my first and last time I will ever work with Puppy again for as long as I live. Nothing personal; it's just that life is too short for something like Puppy.

Can't please everybody, I guess... :lol:

Regards,

Mike. ;)

chris389
June 1st, 2015, 03:10 AM
Thanks Mike. I will look into the Puppy versions as soon as I can see again. I really appreciate the help here. Having cataract surgery tomorrow so I will be a bit tied up. Believe me I would rather play with my computer.

I did upgrade the RAM to 2048 and pulled the 512 stick. Not too long after I had the machine. It must still be working because I looked up the specs on the LXLE . Not sure where now but I did find it. :)

One thing that is good is the old machine is running a bit faster after another re-boot.

One bad thing,maybe two is no sound. I was trying to google about it but today/tonight I just do not have any more time. I am tired and I know if I keep playing with it I will stay up half the night. LOL

Second thing is it worked to go wireless before my ISP changed the router. Now it will not go wireless but it keeps popping up the window asking for password with my correct user name to the wireless to the point it is making me crazy closing the window. No idea how to stop that. I have it hard wired right now. Forgot how much I hate cords all over. Of course the ISP said my computer has gone bad.

If I can see and think tomorrow night I will look into this. Right now I still have more to get done around here.

Thanks so much for the help Chris

chris389
June 1st, 2015, 02:17 PM
I D/L Wary and Slacko and burned ISO. I tried Slacko last night. Only problem was when I went to shut down even after saving session my machine seemed t hang for about half an hour. I finally had to do a hard shut down so I could go to bed.

Slacko looks good. Machine ran a bit faster. If I install it does it remove the LXLE? If it does remove the LXLE would that also give my machine more resources?

Time to get the show on the road.

Thank you Chris

Mike_Walsh
June 1st, 2015, 07:39 PM
Hi, Chris.

Actually, you don't have to remove the LXLE from your machine at all, if you don't want to. There's a few ways you can do this:-

1) Depending on disk space, you can set up a 5/10 GB partition, and install Puppy to that; or
2) I think you could install Puppy inside your LXLE partition, as what's called a 'frugal' installation; or
3) You can install Puppy to a flash drive.....and simply run it from that.

I know 2) sounds mighty odd to some people, but trust me, it does work.....simply because Puppy was developed to work in exactly that unusual fashion, amongst various other ways!

I believe the idea of 'frugal' installs originated from a Linux distro called Knoppix, some 15-20 years ago. Barry Kauler, the originator of Puppy, simply took the idea, and developed it way beyond what the architects of Knoppix had ever envisaged...

One thing you should understand; and that is that if you decide to leave LXLE on your 'puter, and run Puppy alongside it, then while Puppy is running, LXLE is doing nothing except occupy disk space. That's ALL it will do.....depends how much disk space you have to play with. It doesn't matter if you've got the highest-spec, most expensive, most powerful machine on the market.....NO machine can run more than one OS at a time. Not unless you've got a supercomputer..!

Any further questions, I'll try to help if I can. However, it might be worth your while to register on the Puppy Forums; I'm not saying the staff here will throw a fit, but...Puppy isn't Ubuntu, or even one of the official derivatives. And it's what you'll be advised to do sooner or later, anyway. You can find me there under the same name.

They're a good bunch on the Puppy forums, but even they can get a bit technical at times. The general feeling with Linux is that you need to be fairly competent at what you're doing to be interested in using it.....there can be a fair bit of command-line work (using the terminal). However, if I explain to anyone how to do stuff in Linux, I tend to do it in the way I would want someone to do so for me, if I was in their shoes; plain, straight-forward, easy-to-follow instructions.

I shall probably get a slap on the wrist, now..!

Regards,

Mike. :)

Bashing-om
June 1st, 2015, 08:06 PM
Hey Mike ;

Great advise ! .. See why I leave it to those who have been there.
as to:

I shall probably get a slap on the wrist, now..!

Nope, Not only do we promote ubuntu, but linux in general and we try to keep an open mind.

we run with what we have to work with, huh

Mike_Walsh
June 1st, 2015, 09:04 PM
Hiya, Bashing.

Nope, Not only do we promote ubuntu, but linux in general and we try to keep an open mind.

Thank you for that! Given the attitude of a few individuals I've encountered on here upon occasion, I've kinda wondered about the Forum 'philosophy' at times...

Anyroad; like you just said...'We run with what we have to work with'. Like I said last night, I'm rapidly turning into a Puppy nut! Poor old Morbius wasn't too happy with me last year, trying to set up Samba in Ubuntu to 'talk to' Puppy's Samba-TNG... :D

I could almost picture him shaking his head in dismay, just by reading his replies...:roll:

But I like it. I'm having more fun with Linux, and Puppy in particular, than I've had in years; great stuff. And a lot of the lessons I'm employing in Puppy these days are ones which I learnt the patient way, here on the Ubuntu Forums......by 'digging deep', to quote our own Bucky Ball.

Linux distros may vary.....but the underlying structure is essentially the same, no matter which one you're running. I don't think I've come across hardly anything that can't be solved (with perhaps a smidgeon of 'lateral' thinking :lol:). That's what I love about the essentially 'modular' nature of Linux.

If I can help others out, I'm good with that. After all, most newbies are only asking exactly the same things that I myself was asking a year ago...

Great advise ! .. See why I leave it to those who have been there.

I know what you mean. I've broken Puppy, & re-installed, and set it up SO many times now, I could talk somebody through the entire process in my sleep. Might as well put that to some use...!

Regards,

Mike. ;)

chris389
June 5th, 2015, 02:13 AM
Please do not give up on me. Eye surgery went well with a little glitch. All will be fine it will take time and second eye to be done before I feel human again. I WILL be back. Typed by Husband of Chris at her request.

Bashing-om
June 5th, 2015, 02:26 AM
chris389; Hey, We do not ->

Give up. So long as you are here, we are.

As to cataract surgery, My mother had the surgery, and came out well, Excellent vision in both eyes when the procedures were completed. Good luck !

at the speed of you