PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Bad document visualization

shamgar2
May 29th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Hello,

I'm a new lubuntu user; I don't know if this is the right section to write, but I'd like to expose my problem.

I noticed thare are differencies in the way Libreoffice documents appears in Lubuntu and in Windows: for example the same fonts are visualized differentrly. So I wonder, is there a way to visualize documents exactly as Windows do?

Thanks for your replies

vasa1
May 29th, 2015, 10:25 AM
I don't know about "exactly as windows" but have you tried the settings in Tools > Options > View?

Also, do you have libreoffice-gtk installed? I'm not sure it will help and I don't have it installed on my system.

ajgreeny
May 29th, 2015, 11:21 AM
What are those differences that you speak of?
It is very difficult to suggest answers to a problem that is not described in detail, so we can't see what is wrong.

Are the fonts displayed differently; does the layout of the windows appear different to Windows; is the text formatting different in the two OSs?

Much more info please.

mcduck
May 29th, 2015, 11:23 AM
No, there isn't. Font rendering is an area with surprising amounts of patents and proprietary ways of doing things, and all operating systems do things slightly differently (OS X will display your documents differently from Windows or Linux, for example, as their hinting and font rendering system is different). And due to the patents and restrictions, same mechanisms can't be replicated exactly on the other systems.

Also make sure you actually are using same fonts, most document formats don't include the fonts and instead just rely on you having the correct font installed on your system.

If you need the document to look exactly the same on different platforms, you need to convert it into PDF. (And even then the rendering can change slightly, unless you convert all text into paths. Of course that would mean the text can be selected or searched any more)

shamgar2
May 29th, 2015, 02:34 PM
The situation is the one described by mcduck, so now I understand there is no solution... I have all the fonts I use in windows rightly installed to Lubuntu, and they appear quite similar but not exactly equal to Windows in Libreoffice.

Thanks for your replies