PDA

View Full Version : Working with Eclipse/Glade/SDK ect..

acedia2
May 29th, 2015, 02:58 AM
Currently I have one monitor and disabled the workstation feature since it has complicated my envirnment. Also it can get buggy swapping things from station to station.

With a resolution of 16:9 I can have terminal, a browser and a bit of space to code and edit in real time, what I'm working on.

Right now I'm aquiring a second screen since flipping through tabs and minimizing/scrolling through applications is not as accessible as I would like. This is not a problem with ubuntu, I'm making that clear, personally the access on ubuntu is very smooth and for daily tasks and other users it is a breeze.

What are you using for programming? What is a effective setup? Right now, with Eclipse and, glade with python script application and terminal it is rather crowding. Would a second screen really improve my workstation?

My idea is to have terminal, and coding on one screen while running the GUI and said application on another screen. Right now I'm basically just recreating projects already made and following tutorials on learning how to code and making applications.

It's not really a technical question, it's more of a ease of use and accessibility question. Thanks guys and enjoy!

Current station hardware/os: i7 8cores@ 3.4ghz, 8 gb ram, 1gb gpu, lg 27inch monitor, ubuntu 15.04, xbox 360 media center 120gb used as external HDD + controller/chatpad (Fun to use)

Future additions: 36 inch 1080p Sony HDTV as a monitor

Double.J
May 31st, 2015, 05:39 AM
Hi there!

Personally I find that any cause that requires continued use of two or more applications benefits from multiple monitors. Naturally there is one caveat to this - that it puts greater strain on your graphics processor(s), so If you were primarily doing graphics based work, your hardware would be a consideration for some.

For myself the maximum productivity ceiling is three displays, but then I don't use widescreen aspect ratio monitor. I have three 19" square monitors. I suspect if I used 16:9 or 5:4 monitors, I'd probably use just 2 monitors as 21 inch monitor would give me just about the same screen height. It's tricky because 2x5:4 and I'd loose 20% screen space, 3*5:4 and I'd gain 20%, but take up an additional 4" on each side, on balance, looking at the 16:9 of my laptop, I think I'd only go with 2X16:9/5:4 screens.

As for how I use them, classic curved layout (I use hannsG screens as they are cheapish and have great viewing angles) I most commonly go for research on the left screen (chromium full screen) work on the right screen (depending on what I'm doing, geany/gedit/ninja/libra office/komposer/full screen of emacs) and the middle screen is where I have all my ancillary stuff (post it notes, a couple of terminal screens showing htop and wavemon [ironic cat eats cat5 cables, we're all wireless now] zim. I find it creates a nice workflow from left to right, where I'll be looking things up/reaserching/discussing online, through the middle screen where I sort the info to the right screen where I use it.

If you don't already use zim, I cannot recommend it enough. It's basically a desktop wiki, and I create one for each project, It's so much easier than 10 tabs of notes, and 1000% quicker than graphical mind mapping software, it's really done away with my old pad of paper by the PC!

Best of luck with your coding! thats a really great attitude to take - write other people's code (under license of course) understand it, tweek it, build your own version. Personally I never took with eclipse, but I don't really think you should ever follow popular opinion and go with what works for you - I like code::blocks for C++, everyone else seems to disagree with me on that lol!

Double.J
May 31st, 2015, 05:56 AM
PS in terms of which IDE setup, it depends a lot on what languages you are learning. whilst most IDE's have plug-in's for most languages, not all black pens write the same ;)

It gets asked a lot, and the most common answer I see across several forums as a general purpose is probably geany, and a lot of people (myself included) love using gedit for scripts. As you said python, I'd also prompt you to have a gander at ninjaIDE in the repos - its grown really fast over the last few years and I really like it. There is no right and wrong with IDE choice other than what works for you. it's infinitely more important to spend an afternoon coding than it is to spend it trying out three different IDE's IMHO

acedia2
June 2nd, 2015, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the input. I finally have my sony bravia hooked up, appearently my family is parting with another sony bravia so ill have duel 36 inch 1080p screens and a small monitor. The TV's are like almost 4 years old but my eyes are still in the 90's and I can't really tell the difference in the last couple years with screen tech so I am pretty happy with the setup. I like your 3 monitor system. After plugging away, I naturally have my application and GUI tools on the big screen and the code + notepads and tabs on the left. I am learning java mainly because it is a course I'll eventually have to take and familiarizing myself with python since it seems that its pretty next level in terms of caplibility and ease of use. Eclipse is nice since it auto debugs and tells me where I am being a noob. This desk is getting ever small. I need to get sleep before nightclass, it's already noon? Enjoy!