PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How do I remove tint2?

pavilionsahota
May 29th, 2015, 01:29 AM
I am using gnome for the first time today and i really wanted a taskbar. so installed tint2, but now i found a better taskbar called cairo dock. so i tried to remove tint2.

i tried everything and i mean everything

sudo apt-get remove tint2
sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove tint2
sudo apt-get purge tint2
sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove tint2

i tried it all and yet it's still there staring at me like a troll when i boot up my computer

Copper Bezel
May 29th, 2015, 01:46 AM
--auto-remove only removes packages already marked as unneeded dependencies. That won't make a difference. purge is supposed to remove any configuration files the application adds in user directories in addition to the binary, but doesn't always work. I'm a little baffled, but I've just installed tint2....

Edit: Oh, wait, what was the output when you tried to uninstall it after already having uninstalled it?

How did you get it to autorun in the first place? It isn't autorunning at startup for me under Gnome or Unity. Did you add it to your startup applications or a startup script at some point?

Hmm - and now it uninstalled cleanly for me, as well. Running "tint2" doesn't even bring up a package suggestion, just says "not found."

Could you post a screenshot?

vasa1
May 29th, 2015, 03:00 AM
I am using gnome for the first time today and i really wanted a taskbar. so installed tint2, but now i found a better taskbar called cairo dock. so i tried to remove tint2.

i tried everything and i mean everything

sudo apt-get remove tint2
sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove tint2
sudo apt-get purge tint2
sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove tint2

i tried it all and yet it's still there staring at me like a troll when i boot up my computer
When you entered those various commands, what was the response in the terminal?
What does pgrep -l tint2 return?
What happens when you type pkill tint2?
Do you have anything like an autostart file, probably somewhere in ~/.config?
What do you see with ls /usr/share/xsessions?

pavilionsahota
May 29th, 2015, 11:34 AM
when i try those commands again the output is "tint2 is not installed, so not removed"

pkill & pgrep -l does nothing

and yeah, i added to my list of startups at one point but then removed it before i uninstalled it

buzzingrobot
May 29th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Is ~/.config/tint2 gone?

vasa1
May 29th, 2015, 12:54 PM
when i try those commands again the output is "tint2 is not installed, so not removed"

and yeah, i added to my list of startups at one point but then removed it before i uninstalled it

Then, even if ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc exists, you shouldn't see the tint2 panel!

buzzingrobot
May 29th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Going by memory, tint2 installs as /usr/bin/tint2. Is that gone? What does "locate tint2" show?

vasa1
May 29th, 2015, 01:47 PM

Taken together, it's clear that tint2 isn't running. To give us a hint of what that panel could be, please post the output of
COLUMNS=150 ps -ef > ~/Desktop/processes.txt within code tags.