PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Crash during clean install.

Camro
May 28th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Hello good sirs,

I am quite new to Ubuntu. I wanted to install lubuntu in a very old laptop of my dad's so that he can use it.
Since he is not that tech savvy, i thought it would be a great fit!
Anyways, while i was installing the laptop just died on me. It was at an important point where it was already copying system files.
From my recollection, the last window said it was "Installing System"

Now, no matter how much i try to get it back to work, it just wont anymore.
The last line that I see each time i try to install it again is "marking tsc unstable due to tsc halts in idle states deeper than c2"

I'm not that familiar with the kernels and coding so i haven't tried to tinker with it yet.
Thank you in advance my dear good sirs. I sure hope i can get it to work for my dad.

Thanks you!

MartyBuntu
May 28th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Are installing a 64bit version on a 32bit capable machine perhaps?

RobGoss
May 28th, 2015, 05:26 PM
I would make sure you have the correct version of Ubuntu for your machine, second thing is if you're not sure about the process you took to create that installation disk or USB, try a new one sometimes it's helpful.

mörgæs
May 28th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Are installing a 64bit version on a 32bit capable machine perhaps?

No, it would have failed with an explicit error message.

Camro, please begin with a complete hardware description.

Camro
May 29th, 2015, 11:43 AM
thank you for the reply, installing a 32 bit on a 32 bit machine.
no problems there.

Camro
May 29th, 2015, 11:45 AM
thanks for the reply, it is the correct version, since its an old 32bit machine, i chose lubuntu that can match its specs, i also redid a whole process with another USB, and it still happened, i think it may be the motherboard that is crashing.

Camro
May 29th, 2015, 11:52 AM
thank you for the reply,

its a really old acer laptop aspire one series.
it has an intel atom n270 1.6 ghz
512 ram
and built in intel graphics.

i think it maybe a motherboard problem or a CPU problem.
the installation just hangs. i switched out the HDD about an hour ago and it just stopped at the "copying files" stage. it basically hanged.

mörgæs
May 31st, 2015, 10:38 PM
Did you try the alternate ISO (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Alternate_ISO)?

gordintoronto
June 1st, 2015, 11:50 PM
I have an Aspire One netbook which runs Xubuntu 15.04 very nicely, but it has 1 GB of memory. OK, it's a little slow, but then again, it was the slowest computer you could buy seven years ago.