PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how to customize ubuntu 15's desktop?

sypher2
May 27th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Im thinking of installing the latest ubuntu version. is it possible to customize the desktop in any other way then the default?

kerry_s
May 27th, 2015, 07:36 AM
if you want to customize go for xubuntu or ubuntu-mate 15.04

ubuntu-mate has some presets in mate-tweak, i use eleven(mac like setup) then tweak it a little more for my netbook's small screen (10.1"), adding mate-netbook(maximus+window picker) to maximize all/most windows.

you can however tweak them however you want, all apps are swappable, in fact i use some xfce app's in my mate setup.

buzzingrobot
May 27th, 2015, 12:29 PM
The interface used on the default Ubuntu release is Unity and it is fairly well locked down, E.g., the Launcher can't be moved from the left side of the display, and the panel can't be moved from the top. Unity users can install the Unity Tweak Tool which exposes some additional settings options. A variety of Unity themes and icons sets can be found (themes need to be compatible with the GTK version in Unity, as anywhere).

The other Ubuntu "flavors" use interfaces that lend themselves to configuration by a user, which is a plus or a minus depending the user.

v3.xx
May 27th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Your running Kubuntu. I do not, but it is my understanding it is highly customizable. Just like all the other flavors (except Unity), why switch to something with less capabilities.

grahammechanical
May 27th, 2015, 02:09 PM
When it comes to desktop customization Kubuntu (which you list as using) and Ubuntu are at opposite ends of the scale. Which is how it is meant to be.

By default we get

1) a selection of background wallpapers including a setting that will change wallpapers every few minutes
2) the launcher that can be set to hide and only reveal when we move the mouse to the left side of the screen.
3) the option to have one or four workspaces
4) application menus to appear in the top panel on the left with a mouse over or in the application's title bar
5) we can set the Dash to open full screen
6) a choice of 3 themes
7) adjust the size of the launcher and its icons.

That is about it really. But as already pointed we do have Unity Tweak tool and CompizConfig Settings Manager (CCSM) will which allow some special effects. I would advise when using these tools to record what changes you are making and test them out one at a time. Some people come on this forum asking for help. They want things put back the way they were but they have no idea of what changes they have made. And they expect a simple fix which is not possible.

As for Ubuntu Mate. I am amazed at the work down by those developers to allow the user to customize the user interface to an extraordinary degree. They are to be complimented for the variety of modifications possible.

In Ubuntu greater customization does not come by default but comes from community involvement and that is either through tweak tools or through other members of the Ubuntu family of distributions.

Regards.

sypher2
May 30th, 2015, 10:13 PM
if you want to customize go for xubuntu or ubuntu-mate 15.04

ubuntu-mate has some presets in mate-tweak, i use eleven(mac like setup) then tweak it a little more for my netbook's small screen (10.1"), adding mate-netbook(maximus+window picker) to maximize all/most windows.

you can however tweak them however you want, all apps are swappable, in fact i use some xfce app's in my mate setup.

sorry for the late reply guys!

I installed ubuntu mate and I do not see "eleven".
Do i need to do something before i can see this option?

kerry_s
May 31st, 2015, 12:17 AM
sorry for the late reply guys!

I installed ubuntu mate and I do not see "eleven".
Do i need to do something before i can see this option?

are you using ubuntu-mate 15.04 ? they didn't have it in 14
the setting is in mate tweak, should be installed under settings & also in control center.

sypher2
May 31st, 2015, 06:57 PM
are you using ubuntu-mate 15.04 ? they didn't have it in 14
the setting is in mate tweak, should be installed under settings & also in control center.

Then their is my problem. I shall upgrade :) Thankyou very much

kerry_s
May 31st, 2015, 09:04 PM
Then their is my problem. I shall upgrade :) Thankyou very much

lol, in 15.10 they changed it from eleven to cupertino. they also added indicators as a option & you can save your custom panel.
they also added mate-netbook in, now they have everything i used to install. how sweet is that.