PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Installing Kodi ( XBMC )

Dyffo
May 25th, 2015, 01:41 PM
HI, I am probably doing or not doing something stupid, but I am trying to get Kubuntu / Kodi up and running.

First off I am running a Live edition of Kubuntu, but I cannot see where or how to install/run Kodi. and when this is installed how do I persuade Kubuntu to open into the Kodi screen.

Once installed I can configure Kodi , no problem - have been using Kodi. Xbmc to view T.V for the past year on my Android box - now I want it on my netbook computer.

Guidance please.

Vladlenin5000
May 26th, 2015, 03:11 AM
Kodi (or former XBMC) wasn't "designed" for netbooks because it requires a capable graphics systems. Your "Android box" has it whereas your netbook most likely hasn't.
You can try anyway: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux
Once installed it can be started like any other program -or- like a standalone desktop environment. Just log out your normal Kubuntu session and before logging in again make sure you select Kodi instead of the default Kubuntu session and it'll go staright away to the Kodi interface. Assuming it works in your machine, that is.

Vladlenin5000
May 26th, 2015, 03:14 AM
If your netbook is the same you posted about weeks ago, a typical 2009 Acer Aspire One with Intel Atom N270 1.60 GHz and Intel GMA950 integrated graphics... Don't waste your time.

Dyffo
May 26th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Hi - thanks for your advice - have given up on this idea !!!!
Just a thought - is there any point in trying Kodibuntu ??

Vladlenin5000
May 26th, 2015, 01:55 PM
The system requirements are the same so, for the same machine, I would say there's no point.

Dyffo
May 26th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Thank's for this - won't waste my time !