PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Synaptic package manager not working, showing error

sunnyengineeer
May 24th, 2015, 03:42 AM
Hello,

When I try to open Synaptic package manager it shows the below error message"-

"E: Encountered a section with no Package: headerE: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ppa.launchpad.net_ffmulticonverter_stable_ubuntu_d ists_trusty_main_i18n_Translation-en
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

I tried running sudo apt-get update through terminal, even that is not able to fix it! Can anyone please help me in solving this issue?

Thanks everyone

Vladlenin5000
May 24th, 2015, 03:50 AM
Please post the results of

sudo apt-get update

Are you running Lubuntu? What version?

Note: "apt-get update" won't fix anything but may give us clues about the problem.

Vladlenin5000
May 24th, 2015, 03:58 AM
**Additional Info**

I your previous thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2203006) about Texlive you mentioned
I have only around 1.5 GB in my Lubuntu drive which can be used for it
This was in February. Is it the same situation? Could it be you're running out of free space?
-and-
Did you managed to install it? I have to ask since you didn't follow up your thread, not even to say thanks to the users who tried to help you... If you did then most certainly you're in a very bad place now. Please check your current free space and post back. Thank you.

sunnyengineeer
May 24th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Sorry to reply late.

I have around 1 GB in the drive in which Lubuntu is installed. I have installed the softwares even when I had 0.5 GB space.

Regarding sudo apt-get update output ...here it is...see attached:-

Vladlenin5000
May 24th, 2015, 05:10 PM
You have several problems:

- It's recommended to have much more free space than what you currently have, regardless of the OS. As a side note, in the same scenario, Windows would be misbehaving and extremely slow. Ubuntu works but it may not have enough space to let APT operate (updates). This is the main problem and can potentially prevent the correction of other errors.
- You have several outdated/nonexistent PPAs that you should remove. This PPAs seem to have been carried out from an older xUbuntu version.
ppa:natesm/ease
ppa:upubuntu-com/office
ppa:joe-nationnet/seamonkey-dev

Neither have versions for trusty (14.04), hence the errors. You should remove all and

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

This is the first troubleshooting step and I wouldn't be surprised should the problem persist. Again, your main issue right now is the lack of space.