PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install ssh on ubuntu on SD Card without booting ubuntu

Kapil_Yadav
May 22nd, 2015, 11:17 PM
Hi,

I burned ubuntu image on SD Card so that I can use it on my raspberry pi 2. But since I dont have hdmi display and sshserver is not preinstalled on ubuntu, I have no way of accessing my raspberry pi. ssh doesnt work because sshserver is not installed on ubuntu running on raspberyr pi. I am following this link (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi) for installing ubuntu on raspberry pi.

What can I do to run ubuntu on raspberry pi headless???

Thanks

sandyd
May 23rd, 2015, 02:46 AM
1. Locate partition of raspberry pi root partition on SD card

sudo fdisk -l

The command will show all disks/cards/storage devices and the partitions on each.

2. Create a mount point and mount the root partition

sudo mkdir /mnt/RPI
sudo mount partition /mnt/RPI

Replace partition with the partition (starting with /dev/)

3. Copy over resolv.conf to enable internet

sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/RPI/etc/resolv.conf

4. Chroot into install

sudo chroot /mnt/RPI

5. Install stuff

sudo apt-get install openssh-server

6. Exit chroot

exit

Kapil_Yadav
May 23rd, 2015, 07:36 AM
Hi Sandyd,

Elegant solution.. :)

Thought I got suck at chroot command. It is showing this error

failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: Exec format error

When I searched on internet, I found out that it was because I am using 64-bit ubuntu on my laptop and OS that I installed on SD Card was 32-bit. Looks like I have to find a laptop running 32-bit ubuntu to make my way through.

Kapil_Yadav
May 23rd, 2015, 08:05 AM
I put a line "apt-get install openssh-server" in rc.local at /etc. Then I put the sd card in the raspbery pi.
But that didnt work.. :( . I dont know the reason.

tgalati4
May 23rd, 2015, 03:41 PM
It's possible that openssh-server requires several dependencies (packages) that need to be installed. That would require an interactive "yes" response before apt-get will install those packages. You can use the -y switch to answer "yes" automatically. It might be easier to find a TV and use the composite out on the RaspberryPi so you can see what is going on.