PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an Ubuntu sticker on your car?

portalhavoc
May 22nd, 2015, 10:25 PM
This is a thought that I had. Do you have an Ubuntu (Or any other Linux distro) sticker on your car?

My dad has Ubuntu stickers on the satellite radio antenna (Or "shark fin" as we call it) on the back of his 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

t0p
May 22nd, 2015, 10:59 PM
No Ubuntu or Linux stickers. But if someone's giving them away I'll surely accept.

Vladlenin5000
May 23rd, 2015, 06:01 PM
I have stickers and I'm now ashamed but have to admit it: It's a very good idea and it never occurred to me.
I'll be doing this ASAP.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 23rd, 2015, 11:48 PM
I don't put stickers on my car except those required by law. If I see a car with stickers on it, I know the owner hasn't lived here very long. The summers here are very hot and the sun light is intense. The sticker glue melts, dries, and cracks, or the plastic sticker melts, or the paper sticker oxidizes, or the colors fade. Even the sticker required by law placed on the inside of the windshield of the vehicle starts to pealing off after only one summer; but, they have to be replaced yearly.

I actually don't think people seeing a LINUX distro logo on a vehicle will cause them to be interested in LINUX. To many, it would be some odd meaningless symbol sticker on the vehicle, if they notice it at all.

Diandra
May 24th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Have some from Linux community here, although it's not "pure" only ubuntu

Copper Bezel
May 24th, 2015, 01:58 PM
I actually don't think people seeing a LINUX distro logo on a vehicle will cause them to be interested in LINUX. To many, it would be some odd meaningless symbol sticker on the vehicle, if they notice it at all.
Oh, I don't think that's really the point, though. I mean, I don't think when people put Transformers insiginas on their cars, they're trying to get people to buy action figures.

mastablasta
May 25th, 2015, 07:16 AM
people here also don't put stickers on car. it lowers the care value when you try to sell it.

QIII
May 25th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I don't do bumper stickers.

If I am out to buy a car and there is a dealer badge on it, I tell them they can take it off or they can lower the payment by $100 a month to pay me for advertising.

SantaFe
May 25th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a neat idea, would make watching Demolition derby's a whole lot more fun! :D

alco75
May 26th, 2015, 07:57 PM
I do not have any stickers on my car.

My wife, however, has added several significant scratches to it in her relatively short driving career. :roll:

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 26th, 2015, 10:14 PM
I don't do bumper stickers.

If I am out to buy a car and there is a dealer badge on it, I tell them they can take it off or they can lower the payment by $100 a month to pay me for advertising.

I don't like those dealer badges either. I bought a new car less than 2 months ago that had the dealers name on a plastic frame around the rear license plate. When the dealer got the permanent license plates, I went to them in order to retrieve them. They offered to put the license plates on the car for me. When the person removed the screws that held the temporary paper license plate and frame in place, the person laid them on the ground while getting the new plate out of an envelope. While the person watched, I pickup up the plastic frame, walked a short distance to the closest trash bin, and tossed it in. :shock:

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 26th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Oh, I don't think that's really the point, though. I mean, I don't think when people put Transformers insiginas on their cars, they're trying to get people to buy action figures.

You are probably correct; however, I don't understand why someone would put a sticker on a car if they were not trying to communicate something to the people seeing it.

Why would people put a sticker on their car to do otherwise?

mastablasta
May 27th, 2015, 10:13 AM
You are probably correct; however, I don't understand why someone would put a sticker on a car if they were not trying to communicate something to the people seeing it.

to cover the damaged part :)

portalhavoc
May 27th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Also I remember seeing a car in the local Best Buy parking lot in my area that had a sticker that said: "LINUX IS THE BEST" (I censored it because it originally had a explicit word on it) and right beside it was a sticker of the Android robot.

I don't have a picture of it unfortunately. But you get the idea. ;)

Copper Bezel
May 27th, 2015, 05:22 PM

I ... think you're kinda begging the question? Of course it's communication, it's just not communicating "hey, maybe you should try installing Linux." Or maybe it would to a very small fraction of people seeing it, but more likely it's just going to be something that another Ubuntu user sees walking by in a parking lot, and it's like a mutual thumbs-up. Same as the Transformers insignias and people who collect the action figures.