PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu and Subscription Service

cariboo
May 22nd, 2015, 09:48 PM
I was checking out Google Cards on my Nexus 5 when I saw this article (http://fossforce.com/2015/05/ubuntu-the-windows-subscription-gambit/), (It might be a good idea to read the article before commenting). It suggests that if Canoical created a subscription model to compete with the rumoured Windows 10+ subscription model, it might be a good thing for Ubuntu.

grahammechanical
May 22nd, 2015, 10:15 PM
Well. I have read the blog. And I wish I had not. What a load of tosh!

I see nothing in that post that is an actual quotation from any Microsoft representative as to the future direction of Microsoft.

The details aren’t yet clear ... Most likely, it’ll be some sort ....

But despite not knowing for certain, the person says this

It’s certain that this is something like what Microsoft has in mind.

This person knows nothing. And then the claim is made

This also might explain why Nadella & Company has been cozying up to Ubuntu, because Canonical might be the most likely candidate to throw a monkey wrench into this plan for world domination. It might be in Microsoft’s interest to keep Shuttleworth close at hand.

And now we know what is going to replace Microsoft as the evil empire. Stuff and nonsense!

I am not surprised if the management of Microsoft have accepted as fact that Microsoft needs to diversify if it is to continue to make billions in profits. Apple is doing the same, is it not? Long ago Microsoft had plans for users to run applications over the internet and be charged for it. There is nothing new in profit making corporations looking for ways to make even more profit.

Because Canonical can in every way duplicate Microsoft’s plans and offer tit for tat. It has everything: the operating system, complete with mobile integration, cloud storage, even the apps — which won’t need to be offered in crippled versions with an upgrade path.

An Apple is not in better situation to do this than Canonical? And what about Google? Canonical just cannot compete with the spending power of Microsoft, Apple, Google.

When did Ubuntu convergence happen? It must have been since I last went to sleep. And where is the evidence for this claim?

This would be a way for Mark Shuttleworth to realize his dream for Ubuntu to become the first distro to successfully monetize desktop Linux. All he needs do is offer a one click upgrade path, from Windows to Ubuntu, with a subscription cost of, say, half of what Redmond will be asking.

We already have what is almost a one click upgrade path and it comes free. It is called "Erase disk and install Ubuntu." Note the final appeal:

Mark Shuttleworth, are you listening?

But according to this person, Mark has already got a cunning plan for world domination. Why does he need to listen to her?

Regards.

ian-weisser
May 22nd, 2015, 10:35 PM
What a load of tosh!

Well said. +1.

I would refer the blogger to http://www.ubuntu.com/about/ (emphasis is mine):

The Ubuntu Promise

Ubuntu is free. Always has been and always will be. From the operating system to security updates, storage to software.

Ubuntu is fast to load, easy to use, available in most languages and accessible to all.

Ubuntu applications are all free and open source — so you can share them with anyone you like, as often as you like.

Ubuntu comes with full support and all kinds of services available worldwide.

It is certainly fun to live in a fantasy world. Done it, loved it.
My fantasy world has fewer conspiracies and oligarchs and ruthless power shenanigans than his. Poor fellow.

wildmanne39
May 23rd, 2015, 03:59 PM
It was an entertaining read, but only time will tell if this blogger has even a little bit of his thinking correct.

AllenGG
May 23rd, 2015, 08:56 PM
First off, grahammechanical always seems to be correct.
Although the term used was tosfht , or pure BS if you like, we should not discount the concept.
The "Software as a Service" never had a great impact. Nor will a SubscriptionService.
But the real deal is Cloud Computing, and whether you like it or not, you are probably using it, in some form, like "email".
IF you haven't noticed, one of the best mirrors for updating is.................
..........."mirrors.centarra.com/ubuntu"..........
This is a storage service, free to Ubuntu as a mirror, but it is Cloud Computing, and a paid service to regular users.
Are we headed to "subscription Service" ? ...well, maybe.
AGG http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon6.png

buzzingrobot
May 23rd, 2015, 09:32 PM
You can't sell Linux, in a box on a store shelf or any other way. Someone will simply rebuild the source and host it for all comers.

Red Hat began that way. You could buy a shiny box of Red Hat at the store. Ditto Suse and any number of other wannabe Linux vendors who tried it and then vanished in the 1990's.

Linuxratty
May 23rd, 2015, 11:19 PM
It was an entertaining read, but only time will tell if this blogger has even a little bit of his thinking correct.
Oh so true. His comments about $$$ for automatic updates really ruffled my feathers..I don't see this happening. I also really don't care what Microsoft does anymore, but speculating can be fun.