PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot install Lubuntu 14.10.

nu2this2
May 22nd, 2015, 06:31 PM
Recently was able to install Ubuntu 14.04.2 Desktop i386 to an old Gateway laptop. Many thanks to all those who participated and helped me get this done. One individual who provided very helpful assistance was Bashing-OM. At the conclusion of this task he mentioned that this particular version might be a little sluggish on my older laptop. Well, he was absolutely correct. I decided to try to install Lubuntu 14.10 as this was a lighter version. I had matching md5sums so went ahead and burned the disk and ran the program without installing. I was surprised at the speed the OS ran, even off the DVD so I tried to install. I chose to erase the disc and install. Everything seemed to be going fine, but when the process of "copying files" got to about 80% complete the progress bar stopped going forward. I waited for some time thinking perhaps it was a large file and just needed more time to complete. It became obvious however that nothing was happening. I noticed a skip option and elected to click that and noticed I had no mouse movement. Nothing happened, I couldn't even shut down except for pressing and holding the power button.

I would like to stress that the system works perfectly off the DVD. I was even able to upgrade the browser to view you tube vids online. The problem is this version will not complete the installation. Is there any way to go into the terminal to try and learn what the problem might be?

Thanks for any help.

oldos2er
May 23rd, 2015, 12:03 AM
Moved to Installation & Upgrades.

Can you please give the hardware specs of the machine you're trying to install to?

nu2this2
May 23rd, 2015, 01:14 AM
Thank you,

The specs of my laptop are:

Memory 1.4G
Processor Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3300+
Graphics Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS480
OS type 32-bit
Disc 77.1 GB

Rex Bouwense
May 23rd, 2015, 02:38 AM
The specifications of your computer are more than adaquate to run Lubuntu. I do not understand why you wanted to install Lubuntu 14.10 which reaches its End Of Life in July of this year. In any event, recommend that you download Lubuntu 14.04, check the hash, and burn it to a CD. Install that. If Ubuntu 14.04 worked on your computer, certainly Lubuntu 14.04 will has well. I would not even mess with 14.10 because it has only a few months left.

nu2this2
May 23rd, 2015, 03:27 PM
Thank you for the suggestion.
I was able to install Lubuntu 14.04 on the laptop. During the install I was able to access my network, however, now that the OS is on the hard drive I can't find a way to view any available networks. Any help?

Thank you.

oldos2er
May 23rd, 2015, 04:32 PM
What make/model wireless device does the laptop have?

nu2this2
May 23rd, 2015, 05:27 PM
The wireless adapter is an EDIMAX 802.11 turbo mode external card ( inserts in the side of the laptop) The internal built in wireless card does not work with Ubuntu so I use this one. For clarification purposes, I am able to connect to the internet when the I boot up and am able to surf the web. What I can't do is disconnect from the network or look for any other networks to which I would like to connect. For example, If I am at the library and wish to use their network I see no networks icon on the desktop to access that would allow me to log on. Usually there is an icon to click that will show networks being picked up.

I hope this explains what I am trying to accomplish.

nu2this2
May 23rd, 2015, 08:19 PM
After a google search I discovered that there was, at some time in the past, a bug in this particular version. All that was required was to go into software updates and update everything. That, indeed did the trick! The icon now appears and I am trying to become better aquainted with this OS.