PDA

View Full Version : Purism 15 questions

matthekc2
May 22nd, 2015, 11:51 AM
Hey I have read some bits about the purism 15 and it sounds like a nice machine and it looks fantastic... Do the folks making it have a website somewhere a quick google does not turn one up only the crowd funding site? Will someone like System76 or Zareason eventually carry the machine? Do the people behind Purism have plans to make a 17"?

grahammechanical
May 22nd, 2015, 03:21 PM
If it is a crowd funded campaign then it will only get built if the target amount of money is reached and you will only get one of these machines if you put up the money and order one. That is the way crowd funding works.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/purism/librem-15

This is an all-or-nothing scenario - either we make our funding goal and move forward or we miss our funding goal, no credit cards are charged, and the project halts.

Purism has the final prototypes, and with your help can begin production at full scale in our South San Francisco facility.

Once we have placed our Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) order, which is what our funding goal is, we will be offering the Librem 15 for sale, with a standard turnaround to users of about 1 to 2 weeks.

Regards.

user1397
May 22nd, 2015, 06:36 PM
well it looks like the reached their goal, indeed they exceeded it quite a bit, so looks like they're moving forward with their plans. they mention a 13" down the line if this one's a success but no word about a 17" in the future yet

Copper Bezel
May 23rd, 2015, 10:26 PM
It's kinda exciting, but damn, the pricing tier system is kinda not giving me good feelings - specifically, the "empty drive bay - +25" and the fact that I'd apparently be paying an extra $75 for my AltGr key to say AltGr instead of Alt. = /

But damn, that's a very pretty looking machine, the specs are quite reasonable, and it would be really wonderful to have a system optimized to open source drivers. You know, Apple or Microsoft or Google releases a product, it's making the full showing for that OS in a way a Dell or Samsung or Lenovo PC isn't. It'd be really nice to have something like that for Linux.