PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't upgrade from 14.10 to 15.04

subfer1
May 22nd, 2015, 03:18 AM
When I start the update process, everything goes smoothly untill the packages should start installing, at which point i get the following message:
"Failed to fetch http://cr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/t/texlive-bin/texlive-binaries_2014.20140926.35254-6build1_amd64.deb Connection failed"

After this, I rebooted and then tried the partial upgrade (as the installation had most of the packages already downloaded), but it gives me the message again. Any idea why this might be happening or how to fix it?

Thanks in advanced,

Hodevah
May 22nd, 2015, 04:35 AM
Hi can you post output of:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
and

cat /etc/resolv.conf

ps aux | grep dns

can you browse sites on the net without problems?
Are you on a static IP?

If the above answers are (1) yes, and (2) no, then do the following:

sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 8.8.8.8

save the above and ping in terminal:

ping www.google.com

Then do :

sudo apt-get --download-only --reinstall install resolvconf
sudo dpkg --purge --force-depends resolvconf
sudo apt-get install resolvconf

If this procedure fails, then do the following:

Edit your Network connections and edit the IPv4 settings and change to Automatic (DHCP) from Automatic (DHCP) addresses and enter in the Additional DNS servers field, 8.8.8.8j. Save those settings.
Go to /etc/resolve.conf and check that you have 8.8.8.8 for a nameserver and can ping Google again.

If the above doesn't work, go back and re-do the changes to what they were before (initially at start before editing them).
Instead go to Network settings and change/check that proxy is set to Manual and leave HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Socks host blank.

then do

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

hope this helps. Please let us know. If none of the above works, then I suspect that your sources list is corrupt. That can easily be resolved. But please try the above first.