PDA

View Full Version : Debian package to create menu entries: Unity (Ubuntu 14.04)

kirosvds
May 21st, 2015, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm creating a deb package for an app and was trying to have a menu entry created. I have my [package].menu file under debian directory when I'm going to create the debian package that gets installed with dh_installmenu (but it only uses update-menus, which is not installed on my Ubuntu).

I also install the file [package].desktop to /usr/share/applications/ .

None of this seems to create a menu entry on the unity menu. I've also tried on a Cinnamon3 desktop and it doesn't create the menu entry either.

EDIT: It finally appears in the menu in Cinnamon (it was a problem with the exec line in the .desktop file), but it still doesn't popup in ubuntu.

So my question is, what is the procedure or the method to create a deb package that will create a menu entry on installation (unity8 package: v7.85)?

Thanks in advance.

dino99
May 21st, 2015, 01:22 PM
you should get more luck asking devs on askubuntu i feel

grahammechanical
May 21st, 2015, 02:44 PM
to create a menu entry on the unity menu.

I am confused. I use Unity and I do not see menus. On the top panel at the right I see app indicators which have drop down menus. Do you wish for your application to put an indicator in the top panel with a drop down menu that appears when clicked? If so, this may help

https://unity.ubuntu.com/projects/appindicators/

And you might want to keep an eye on the direction that application development is taking in Ubuntu.

Ubuntu apps will soon run across all Ubuntu client platforms (desktop, phone, tablet, etc.). It’s a true write-once, run-everywhere approach that conserves precious developer time.

https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/apps/

Regards.

kirosvds
May 21st, 2015, 03:46 PM
Thank you for the advice,

I was talking about the unity launcher (the first button on the left by default), which pops up a window with a text area to search for apps, documents, etc.. I'm sorry about the misunderstanding, I'm not used to Unity.

In fact it was a problem with the machine I was testing on - which was heavily used to test many, many, other things -, after a clean install, app appears on the Unity launcher.