PDA

View Full Version : Update hanging on Silverlight and Facebook problem in Firefox - related?

scooternik
May 20th, 2015, 08:38 PM
I get the regular 'update your Ubuntu' message each time I turn my laptop on, and each time I agree to install 15.04.

Each time it starts with downloading the wine-silverlight5.1 installer, then hangs on the installation. I've left it running for three days, just to see if anything happens. It didn't.

At around the same time as I started encountering this problem a few webpages - primarily Facebook - started hanging when loading. Occasionally they'd finish the load eventually, but more often than not it wouldn't. Recently this has been accompanied by the screen breaking up into horizontal lines. This only happens on FB, but continues for a while after I come off line.

Any suggestions as to where to start?

Thanks

QIII
May 20th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Hello!

When upgrading to a new release, it is important to disable any third party repositories you have added. It might be advisable to first uninstall any software you have installed from them.

PPAs and third party repos are often aimed at particular releases and dependencies my not be fulfilled in a different release.

scooternik
May 20th, 2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks, I'll look at that when I get time.

Appreciated.

efflandt
May 23rd, 2015, 02:09 AM
If you had pipelight installed, my reply in this post tells how I removed it and ppa from 14.04 (since it did not seem to work for me anyway).
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2278514&highlight=remove+pipelight