PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lost Launcher And Menu Bar With One Particular User ID (15.04 32 bit)

n4lbl
May 19th, 2015, 06:15 PM
I've been running 15.04 for a few weeks satisfactorily. After restarting from Win7 (no, I don't believe that that is the cause) on my "usual" user ID I lost both the Launcher and the menu bar. All the other IDs and guest work fine.

On the non-working ID the only thing I can figure out to do us right-click on the desktop and select change-desktop-background to get to system settings. I can't find anything there to fix it and I can't get rid system settings without the menu bar. Yes, I have tried appearance/behavior there. All I know to do is Cntl-Alt-F7 to get to another ID.

I have tried logging in to the non-working ID with Gnome instead of Ubuntu(default) which I think is also called Unity. No help. I ordinarily use Ubuntu(default).

Thanks for any help.

Other data (just in case):
Laptop is ASUS Eee PC 1015 PEM w/ 2 GB memory
15.04, 32 bit version
Since the problem started I did run the Software Updater

dino99
May 20th, 2015, 08:37 AM
maybe you have set (or that user id) the setting to autohide

grahammechanical
May 20th, 2015, 12:47 PM
In the user session with just the background wallpaper it should be possible to open a terminal from that menu that comes up when we right click the wallpaper. Try running

setsid unity

another one to try is

dconf reset -f /org/compiz/

Regards.

n4lbl
May 20th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Edit: I forgot to use quote. This is a reply to dino99 suggesting " maybe you have set (or that user id) the setting to autohide ". End edit.

Thanks, but that doesn't work. Turning auto-hide off should pin the launcher in place and that doesn't work. Adjusting the auto-hide sensitivity doesn't help either.

Thanks again.

n4lbl
May 20th, 2015, 04:33 PM
In the user session with just the background wallpaper it should be possible to open a terminal from that menu that comes up when we right click the wallpaper. Try running

setsid unity

another one to try is

Regards.

Thanks.. I obviously couldn't open a terminal session with the launcher. Poking around I learned that cntl+alt+t should work but it didn't work in the problem user ID. I does work in the user ID I am currently using on the same machine.

Cntl+alt+F7 can get me from the problem user ID to this good one. Funny, but that isn't reversible.

Thanks again.

n4lbl
May 20th, 2015, 10:56 PM

setsid unity

another one to try is

Regards.

Grahammechanical: Knucklehead that I am, I didn't realize that right-clicking on the desktop provided an invitation to a terminal session. Thats the good news. The bad news is no progress. The setsid command re-started the session, just as it was before. The dconf made no difference that I can tell.

Thanks,,, and you did get me to recognize that I can issue terminal commands.

n4lbl
May 21st, 2015, 01:51 AM
Seems solved (for the moment)!! I don't really know why but I'll state what I did.

I have re-booted many times. Just before the "cure" I ran the Software Updater which only had one change and it was to the OS. Upon completion re-booting was not called for.

I spent some time puzzling over the system log. I decided to re-boot, sign in to a good user ID and do nothing there, and sign into the failing user ID and also do nothing. My goal was to read the system log with the minimum extraneous stuff to confuse me. What actually happened was that the problem user ID was back to normal. All was OK. The launcher and the menu bar were back. The only symptom I found was that the launcher icon size was set to the default 42 units. Maybe that is a sign! Maybe not.

I'll mark this closed (solved?) when I've lived with it for a while. Did the maintenance fix it? Actually I guess so. I don't know how to look up exactly what the last maintenance was though.

Thanks to all.

n4lbl
May 22nd, 2015, 03:45 PM
Well, I'll call this solved, even if I don't know what happened. I don't know why only one user was affected. I don't really know if the maintenance helped but I believe it did. I don't even know what the maintenance was.

Thank you everyone for trying to help.

kdwarn
August 6th, 2015, 03:39 AM

setsid unity

another one to try is

Regards.

I was having the exact same problem, and the second bit worked. Thanks so much!

gavsue
November 21st, 2015, 01:58 AM

setsid unity

another one to try is

Regards.

This worked for me. Right click desktop > open terminal > enter the commands > restarted computer> :)