View Full Version : can't compile nehe tutorial

August 2nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
i get the following error

richard@richard-laptop:/media/c/Documents and Settings/Richard/Desktop/New Folder$ make
gcc -Wall -I/usr/include/ -c -o lesson4.o lesson4.c
lesson4.c: In function ‘keyPressed’:
lesson4.c:110: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘exit’
lesson4.c:110: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’
gcc -Wall -I/usr/include/ -o lesson4 -L/usr/X11R6/lib lesson4.o -lX11 -lXi -lXmu -lglut -lGL -lGLU -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [lesson4] Error 1
rm lesson4.o

i got a lot of other errors before, but i read through and installed glut and mesa - that solved a lot of the errors, but now i am left with this and i dont know what to do

i am trying to compile this (http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=04) tutorial (using this (http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/linux/lesson04.tar.gz) source code)

please help!

August 2nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
i fixed that myself, but now i am compiling a different one and it says i don't have gl.h apparently

checking for gl.h... no
configure: error: OpenGL headers not found

what package do i need for that?

August 5th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Did you figure this out?

I think the one you want is:

August 5th, 2006, 07:55 PM
ty very much! ill try that out in a min

damn wireless suport.... if it was only there i wouldnt bother with windows. i cant remember the last time i played a game and openGL programming in linux is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier than in windows

GLUT is ftw, ~140 lines for linux vs. ~430 lines of code in windows... stupid win32 API....

anyway thx for that ill try it out when i go downstairs and wire up my laptop

August 5th, 2006, 08:54 PM
ok, apparently its mesa-common-dev that i need. i cant apt-get it for some reason.... repo? but i downloaded it manually and installed it, and *STILL* i get the same error!

could it be that the ./configure script is looking in the wrong place for it??

August 12th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Doh, sorry I'm a little slow at replying (old email address was being used)...

Anyways, if you haven't solved the problem yet...

Strange that you can't apt-get mesa-common-dev, I'm pretty sure it's in the main repositories under the Development section (can you see it in synaptic?).

If you downloaded manually and installed it, it probably installed to /usr/local (unless you changed it in configure), in which case you'd need to add that directory to your compiler options (-L/usr/local for make, other tools have similar options).