PDA

View Full Version : "victim of the recent change in the linux-firmware-nonfree package”. Is this me?

0rbit-power2
May 16th, 2015, 05:54 PM
For the second time, I am now missing an Internet access, both removed during or after installation of Ubuntu!

Could I ask for help, to get my empty 14.04 Ubuntu back on line for normal access with Mother ship. Can anybody help?

I have noticed searching with my Mac on line, that I am not alone. How can we protect ourselves from this serious, time wasting problem? Has this problem moved on and new answers now available?

Cy

steeldriver
May 16th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums

Can you give us some context please? where did you see "victim of the recent change in the linux-firmware-nonfree package”? what exactly is your issue?

deadflowr
May 17th, 2015, 04:24 AM
Is this broadcom related?
If so, have you read through chili555's thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214110)?

If not, then +1 to post #2 and elaborate on the problem.

Rob Sayer
May 17th, 2015, 02:39 PM
It's rather difficult to say whether linux-firmware-nonfree is a problem without knowing what network hardware and drivers you're using. Did you install the linux-firmware-nonfree package? If not I don't think it'd be there by default.

At the least you need to say what adapters you have. Paste this into terminal:

sudo lshw -c network

and post the output here, embedded in [code] tags so people can read it.

dino99
May 17th, 2015, 03:49 PM
for which hardware/chipset did you need to install linux-firmware-nonfree ?
or is it that 'famous' noob habit to install/test everything from the archive without real needs ?