PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu several upgrade (ad naseum)

david-oldcolo
May 11th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Flame on at me for asking but figure to just point blank it...

A friend (yes, this is true) has a Ubuntu 13.04 install. Can I just install over it with a 15.04 install DVD? Or, can someone point me to an upgrade path.

I have researched and can muck my way thru it but figure why not just ask directly, get flamed, and hopefully get a direct answer.

Flame on (me), but anyone have a pointer on this several version upgrade HowTo.

tx

ubfan1
May 12th, 2015, 01:28 AM
You might be better off with Ubuntu 14.04 (a long term support version), since 15.04 only has 9 months of support. That upgrade would be 13.04 -> 13.10 then 13.10 ->14.04. As detailed in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes
Backup your files in any case, things can go badly wrong.
The alternative would be to install the 15.04, then restore your files from the backup you took. Upgrade to 15.10, then 16.04, the next long term support release.
I like to do a fresh install at least every other upgrade -- old stuff does tend to accumulate.

Geoffrey_Arndt
May 12th, 2015, 03:24 AM
Chances of a successful update are minimal. 13.04 is "relatively" an ancient release now. Best to do full reinstall - - let the installer put the new version over 13.04. Much faster & safer (using a new iso on DVD or USB-Flash Stick).

sudodus
May 12th, 2015, 07:17 AM
I would recommend to backup everything important from the current system (with 13.04), and after that make a fresh install of 14.04 LTS (with long time support). Depending on the computer hardware and the preferences of your friend, the end user, you might select a different flavour of Ubuntu. It is worthwhile to consider not only standard Ubuntu, so

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230389)

Bucky Ball
May 12th, 2015, 07:48 AM
No reason going 13.04> 13.10> 14.04 LTS wouldn't work if your friend hasn't added lots of PPAs and customised his install radically, but it would be a long and tedious process fraught with pitfalls ...

Clean install of 14.04 LTS for mine, after a backup of all important data in case things go pear-shaped, that is. Good luck. ;)

Elfy
May 12th, 2015, 07:52 AM
I would recommend to backup everything important from the current system (with 13.04), and after that make a fresh install of 14.04 LTS (with long time support). Depending on the computer hardware and the preferences of your friend, the end user, you might select a different flavour of Ubuntu. It is worthwhile to consider not only standard Ubuntu, so

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230389)

Agreed

No reason going 13.04> 13.10> 14.04 LTS wouldn't work if your friend hasn't added lots of PPAs and customised his install radically, but it would be a long and tedious process fraught with pitfalls ...

Other than they're going to have to hope old-releases works:)

It might be wise to tell your friend not to leave it so late next time - there are reasons that EOL is announced.

Bucky Ball
May 12th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Other than they're going to have to hope old-releases works:)

Yea, good point. Could be problematic as 13.04 and 13.10 are both EOL. I think I'm awake now! :)

grahammechanical
May 12th, 2015, 03:59 PM
This is the wiki page for end of life upgrades. Note that you will have to do this twice since 13.10 is also end of life. You need to get that machine on 14.04.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

It can be done. I have done it as an experiment but a fresh install is to be preferred in my opinion.

Regards.

david-oldcolo
May 13th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Thank you all! I was hoping for ya'll's with experience to present avenues, and brief explanations as to why. Everyone has been most, most helpful and for that I am grateful. I know these repeated questions are a drag, but hopefully this will benefit others too. It has me.

I followed the advice towards backing up the home dir, flattening and reinstalling to Ubuntu current. And then restoring. Worked a peach. And in the end shorter than crawling thru sequential upgrades.

So, much appreciated the responses and while I deserved to get flamed, ya'lls didn't... but ya still can, heh.

tx, david

sudodus
May 13th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Congratulations :KS

Please click on Thread Tools at the top of the page and mark this thread as SOLVED

david-oldcolo
May 13th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Thank you for the gracious response. I am grateful for this thread and everyone's pitching in ideas. It helps to cut to the chase... tho do know I research and rarely ask. But on this, voices of experience...... help.

Congratulations :KS

Please click on Thread Tools at the top of the page and mark this thread as SOLVED

Bucky Ball
May 13th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Well done. You got there! I think second link in my signature is what you might be looking for. Good luck with the OS. ;)