PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How partition Mint 17.1 KDE for openSUSE data transfer via NAS clone?

MagnifiKat
May 11th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Greetings from Ireland! What, please, is the best and safest procedure for transferring all files, configurations, preferences, downloads, etc, from our existing openSUSE 11.4 KDE to a brand new installation of Mint 17.1 KDE, using a Netgear 4-bay NAS as the intermediate back-up and cloning medium?

In particular, I shall appreciate very much receiving kind recommendations on the partitioning aspect of this task. Should the hard disc of our Mint installation PC be set up with THREE (3) partitions: namely /, /home and /boot? Or are extra partitions required? Also, whatever be the optimum partitioning, would Mint then partition and transfer data securely from openSUSE 11.4 KDE via an NAS full clone in X-RAID2 mode? Please advise!

Many thanks, fellow penguins!

MagnifiKat

-----------------

Siemens “Esprimo” P5616 desktop | Fujitsu D2461-A12 micro-BTX mobo |
KDE 4.6.00 (4.6.0) "release 6" | Linux 2.6.37.6-24-desktop x86_64 |
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2·4GHz dual-core CPU | DVD SuperMulti |
1TB HDDs | 8GB DDR2-800MHz dual-channel RAM | nVidia MCP51 Ethernet |
nVidia GeForce 7300LE 256MB TrueMemory | openSUSE 11.4 (X86-64) |
Netgear ReadyNAS RN104 | 1·2GHz CPU | 512MB | OS 6.2.2 | X-RAID2 |

MagnifiKat
June 19th, 2015, 07:22 PM
So sorry to note that no-one at UbuntuForums.org has been able help me with my above Mint enquiry.

However, the good folks over on the Linux Mint forum have provided me the answers I was seeking. So, in order to assist those Ubuntu and/or Mint website visitors seeking an answer to their own similar installation questions, I believe it may well be of help to provide here a link to my own now-solved Linux Mint thread, which is as follows:-

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=195193&p=1029833#p1029833

Cheers!

MagnifiKat

v3.xx
June 19th, 2015, 10:36 PM
And it took over a month at the mint forum for you to bump your thread and get a answer, by "Habitual" also a forum member here. Why did you not bump this thread? Sounds like your mistake.

So sorry to note that

Cheers!

MagnifiKat
June 21st, 2015, 05:04 PM
And it took over a month at the mint forum for you to bump your thread and get a answer, by "Habitual" also a forum member here. Why did you not bump this thread? Sounds like your mistake.
Thank you for your observation. Why did not I bump this thread? Answer: Because I am a very patient fella and, out of respect for all you good people who, so selflessly, devote your spare time to help other Mint users on this and other Linux forums, I was more than happy to wait awhile for a possible response. Also, I was well aware that a lot of folks are away on holiday at this time. So, no "mistake" whatsoever on my part; just a natural expression of my earnest desire to be as considerate as possible towards others by endeavouring to show restraint and not make a general nuisance of myself!

So thanks again, v.3.xx. Cheers and kind regards!

MagnifiKat

bapoumba
June 21st, 2015, 05:16 PM
Thanks for linking to the solution that may help others. I edited the thread title to take out the "Unresolved" word that was looking funny next to the "Solved" tag :)
Thanks again.