PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Browser

Cornelius_Austin
May 11th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I just updated my 32 bit System 76 Starling netbook to 15.04 The Ubuntu-Browser is installed by default alongside the Firefox browser. With the netbook I had been having the problem of extreme slowness while on internet sites with advertisements. I tried the Ubuntu-Browser which basically has no superficial functions. I was blown away at how fast the paged scrolled etc. Due it's basicness it doesn't have a back button or a possibility to put in the URL except on the home page, Anyone know of any shortcut key combinations? I remember that browsers used to use the backspace key in windows.

Copper Bezel
May 11th, 2015, 10:21 PM
My understanding is that the Ubuntu Core Apps Web Browser app is intended primarily for touch, and some of the interface might not really be there for mouse and keyboard yet. Have you tried Gnome's Epiphany browser? It's similar in being super-lightweight and limited in its plugin support, but also maintains keyboard and mouse usability.

Cornelius_Austin
May 12th, 2015, 12:57 AM
I'll try out Epiphany

grahammechanical
May 12th, 2015, 01:35 AM
The Ubuntu Browser that I am using right now (15.04 desktop) has a back button or should I say, a back arrow. Underneath the application top panel should be a central panel showing the url of the website we are visiting. Once we have navigated at least one link we get a back arrow < to the left of the central panel. There will be times when a forward arrow will appear >.

If we click on the panel with the url we will not only see a reload arrow but also a drop down menu of recently visited links of the url. The star icon at the right of the url panel will bookmark the page. It is also possible to backspace the url in the panel and enter another url.

Another feature to watch out for is the icon that looks like three dashes stacked on top of each other. Click on that and we get options for History; Open tabs: New tab; and Settings.

The new tab will come with a panel to enter a url or type in a search for a website. The Open Tabs feature is where we change from one tab to another and close open tabs.

The Ubuntu Browser has certainly improved since it first appeared on the desktop with an install of Unity 8 about a year ago. Then there were no scroll bars. We had to use the mouse to click the page and pull the page up and down just like using a swipe gesture. Then the scroll bars were introduced and using them crashed the browser. We could not use it on Ubuntu forums because it would not accept a carriage return = no paragraphs in a forum post.

There has been a lot of improvement in the last year. So, although it is the default browser for the Ubuntu phone it has been converged into a desktop browser. I do not think that it will ever have the same functions as the full featured web browsers but that is not the point of Ubuntu browser. It is part of the Ubuntu convergence story. Get ready for different ways of working in Ubuntu.

Regards.