PDA

View Full Version : [Ubuntu] 14.04 Gnome window button arrangement

Karl_Hungus
May 10th, 2015, 03:45 AM
Hey guys I was wondering if there is a way to change the side the window buttons are on? I found some terminal commands and a tutorial for dconf-editor that said it would change the side the window buttons are on but none of them would change the button arrangement.

the best results I could achieve only changed some of the more basic looking windows buttons to the left but I need ALL of them on the LEFT.

THANK YOU!

insil
May 10th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Apparently it's impossible. I'm right-handed and absolutely hate having window control buttons on the left. And it seems to be a common complain that Ubuntu team doesn't care to address.

Karl_Hungus
May 10th, 2015, 10:15 PM
****! Im literally going back to UNITY right now :(

mc4man
May 10th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Not sure what you refer to about ' ALL of them on the LEFT.'
If on gnome-shell the window buttons can be determined (close, min, max or some of) in dconf - see screen 1, this enables all 3 on the left in gnome-shell
(location is org.gnome.shell.overrides button-layout, require a log out/in after changing

In gnome-flashback it's - org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout

As far as nautilus any changes must be done in the source > nautilus-toolbar.c & likely only a close button anyway...

Copper Bezel
May 11th, 2015, 02:58 AM
Yeah, I think that's the complaint - dconf can swap the ones that use standard titlebars, but the Gnome apps with the integrated toolbar / titlebar will always have their buttons where Gnome puts them. Nautilus under Ubuntu with Unity is specially tweaked to use the system titlebar instead. But even under Unity, if I open up Gnome Tweak Tool, it has the integrated tootlebar and only a close button, only on the right, and not respecting the window theme. Skinned apps that draw their own titlebars are of course the same way - Steam, for instance, uses the Windows button arrangement in its own skinned style.