PDA

View Full Version : Desperate with Elementary OS Freya & Intel/Nvidia hybrid laptop

Nikos_T
May 8th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Hello.
I would appreciate any help because I am quite stuck here trying to get Elementary OS Freya to work on my laptop (lenovo z710 i7-4710 mq) with hybrid intel/nvidia graphics card.
I have lost my whole day yesterday coming across many blank screens instead of login etc etc. The trouble is that after all this, I don't think I did actually set anything.
The situation now is that I can login to x environment but everything seems quite buggy, moving slowly etc etc.
On top of everything my touchpad stopped working and I have to use an external mouse!
This output also does not seem very promising :~$ lspci | grep VGA & sudo lshw -C video[1] 4683
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 06
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:d1000000-d13fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:5000(size=64)
[1]+ Done lspci | grep --color=auto VGA

I guess that it would be useful to tell you the steps I followed after installing Elementary Freya (the last time I ran over all this procedure to get it work):
apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade

and then i install libegl1-mesa libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libva1 , rebooted and installed mesa-utils and xserver-xorg-video-intel
after all this I followed this (https://elementaryforums.com/index.php?threads/howto-install-latest-nvidia-driver-on-linux-without-getting-black-screen.7/#post-12) guide to update with the latest drivers (nvidia-346) for my nvidia geforce 840M (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/83686).
As the install of nvidia-346 was successful, i rebooted my computer. After the boot logo I went to black screen.
Then Ctrl+Alt+F1 to login to console and apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
As I did this I rebooted and I could finally login with graphical interface.
However everything seemed a little buggy.
I tried modifying the /etc/bumblebee.conf changing "nvidia-current" to "nvidia-346" and adding the choice for nvidia driver in order to get it to use this drivers. No big difference...
There is also no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
Now almost everything seems buggy, my touchpad does not work at all and my drivers set up is all a waste of time.
I am really desperate for some help here.
Thank you very much.
Nikos