PDA

View Full Version : making 'ed' a background process using a shell script

scm
March 29th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I need to make the program 'ed' a background process using a shell script. I have been sucessful in making 'ed' a background process in shell mode doing the following:

ed &

However, when I using the following BASH script:

#/bin/bash

ed &

make the file +x and run it, it does not put ed into the background. Does anyone know why/how to make this work?

TIA

bnutting
March 29th, 2005, 10:24 PM
What exactly are your trying to do?

scm
April 1st, 2005, 01:38 AM
What exactly are your trying to do?

I am writting a program that requires 'ed' to be put in the backgroud with a shell script.

bnutting
April 1st, 2005, 06:06 PM
I am writting a program that requires 'ed' to be put in the backgroud with a shell script.
I kind of gathered that from your first post ;-) I *was* looking for more detail but that's OK. Try adding nohup to your line that starts ed &.
Will this do what you want?

scm
April 2nd, 2005, 03:33 PM
I kind of gathered that from your first post ;-) I *was* looking for more detail but that's OK. Try adding nohup to your line that starts ed &.
Will this do what you want?

Thanks for getting back to me O:) The following did not work: nohup ed& when written in a shell script. The shell script I wrote looked like this:

#/bin/bash

nohup ed&

Let me go into more details about what I'm trying to do, maybe you could try them yourself to see the delema I am in.

What I am trying to do is make the program 'ed' start up and run as a background process after it is called from a shell script. If you were to create the following script and run it, you will see that it does not work:

#/bin/bash

ed&

If you use the command 'bg' you will see that 'ed' is not running in the backgroud.

Interesting enough, if you run the following from the command prompt (ed&) it _does_ run in the background.

Give it a shot and see.

So you're probably wondering why it is so important for me to be able to start 'ed' and have it run in the background from a shell script. The reason is that I am working on a program called EULUIE that is a command interface/editor that utillizes calls to given commands via shell scripts. In this case, I need 'ed' to be started and put in the background.

I have looked all over the Net for info as to why 'ed' will start in the background via a prompt but not a script and how to fix this. Any suggestions/help would be great as the the editor part of my program is at a stand still.

Roptaty
April 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
It seems like bash is closing down the stdin descriptor for your ed process. ed will then exit, since it can't read more data.

Some of the solutions I can think of, are using pipes to send and read data from ed or just invoking ed when you need it.

dusu
April 3rd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Hi,

maybe that's totally stupid from me, but shouldn't your first line have a ! in it, like that :

#!/bin/bash
?

scm
April 3rd, 2005, 07:18 PM
Hi,
maybe that's totally stupid from me, but shouldn't your first line have a ! in it, like that :

#!/bin/bash
?

I did that in my script, just left it out in the posting. Good eyes though.;-)

scm
April 3rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
It seems like bash is closing down the stdin descriptor for your ed process. ed will then exit, since it can't read more data.

Some of the solutions I can think of, are using pipes to send and read data from ed or just invoking ed when you need it.

Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to see about this.

bnutting
April 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Roptaty sounds like he/she has a better solution. I am courious to here is calling it as you need works.

mynk
October 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
I faced an issue with using '&' to create a background process on an arm board. I realized it gives an error /dev/null not found. Creating the same fixed the problem for me.

Are you getting any such errors?