PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] automatic update put 'virus' on my Foxfire browser?

AraiBob
May 6th, 2015, 05:46 AM
All,

I OK'd an automatic update on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS pc. After that I tried a manual update / upgrade and it failed to find almost all the websites required to do the update.

I recycled my pc, and tried the sudo apt-get update, and this time it worked.

But when I used FireFox 37.02 to look for torrents, I noticed a big change. When I click on the magnet link, Instead of having the popup for Deluge appear, I get a download notice:

undefined.exe

Download Torrent KickassTorrent.exe
299KB

How to get rid of this? It has 'taken over' clicks on Firefox and I can't find where to get rid of it. I went to the Mozilla Firefox website looking for a hint, and I could not find where to ask this question.

I don't :KNOW: if the problem started with the odd result from the automatic update, but the timing is suspicious.

Please, help get rid of whatever has taken over the clicks on Firefox. Advice, please?

AraiBob

dino99
May 6th, 2015, 09:14 AM
if you try to download illegal/protected files via torrent, then be aware of the related risks you are taking. Many torrents are fakes with backdoors.

AraiBob
May 7th, 2015, 09:48 PM
All,

My issue is all on the website I was using to search for torrents. That website has been 'changed' and points to advertisements after almost every click. And on those that do not go to the advertisement, you get the download attempt. On windows the download would happen and probably install something nasty. Under Ubuntu Linux, Just an annoying thing.