PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Website Difficulties

lusbyclark2
May 5th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I am currently experiencing some difficulties with the website of the investment firm that holds my retirement IRA. Instead of their website coming up in its usual form with colored images, multiple font sizes and font colors, and other professional attributes, it comes comes up in plain black text against a white background which is more than just a little disconcerting. I have no way of knowing, sitting here in my basement lair all by myself, if this is a harmless misrepresentation of their real website or if some hacker has somehow intervened between their computer system and my PC. Concerned that it may be the latter, I immediately backed-out of my attempt to log on their website. I then tried logging onto several other websites - Astronomy Picture of the Day, CNN, my bank, WebElements, Wikipedia, Jameco Electronics, et al. All worked as they always have.

My next step was to check to see if I would get a similar result on my wife's Windows 7 desktop, I attempted a log-on with it and got the expected results - the usual website with all its colors and fonts and other professional attributes; of course to do this I had to enter a user name and a password. I called the investment firm yesterday, May 4th, and was able to talk to a young lady who insisted that the problem was at my end, not theirs.

So my next step was to attempt a log on with my wife's Samsung Galaxy tablet; its operating system is some version of Android Linux. Got the same plain black text against a white background which I did with my Linux desktop here in my basement. Unfortunately but not uncharacteristically, the people at the investment firm still claim the problem is at my end and not at their end, which by the way is based on the fact that their website works for PCs using Windows OS.

First of all, is there anyway that my investment firm's representatives can be correct: that the problem I am experiencing really is at my end rather than theirs? If so, what must I do to fix this problem. It would seem that whatever it is, it has to be a problem common to both the Android version of Linux as well as Ubuntu's version - hard to believe that both organizations made the same change within the last week, but maybe so. Secondly does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can say to these people to induce them into checking into things at their end.

Habitual
May 5th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Try a User-Agent switcher and use a Windows UA string and then visit the site.

SeijiSensei
May 6th, 2015, 12:05 AM
If you are using Firefox, check View > Page Style and make sure "Basic Page Style" is selected. If "No Style" is chosen, Firefox will not use any CSS stylesheets, and the page will appear largely as text.

Also are you blocking anything with AdBlockPlus or its brethen, or filtering scripts with something like Ghostery or NoScript? Disable all of the those and see if the page displays correctly.