PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screensaver

Demanett
May 3rd, 2015, 09:59 PM
My screen keeps dimming and while it is dimmed, it pauses for a few minutes and this happens very frequently. I have gone into settings in the desktop and screensaver, but this does no good. I have tried everything, but to no avail. How can I stop my screen from dimming and pausing? This is so very annoying! I have Linux ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Can you please help me? (I will need very specific instructions as I am not real familiar with ubuntu computer language. Please help me asap. Thank you! Dianne

kerry_s
May 4th, 2015, 03:19 AM
it does that when it is busy or if there are low resources, like low ram(swapping) or maybe the cpu is pinned at 100% trying to complete a task.
what are your specs ?

Demanett
May 5th, 2015, 01:15 AM
My specs are: Disk 99.7 GB; OS 32 bit; Graphics Intel® 915G x86/MMX/SSE2; Processor Intel® Celeron(R) M processor 1.60GHz and Memory 993.7 MiB Does this help?

kerry_s
May 5th, 2015, 01:40 AM
yeap, not enough ram memory. you need at least 2gb ram.

for now just switch to a less resource ubuntu such as xubuntu or lubuntu. i prefer xubuntu myself very usable with 1gb ram, way better when i maxed out my netbook with 2gb ram.
http://xubuntu.org/

Demanett
May 5th, 2015, 03:53 AM
My boyfirend has the same version of ubuntu and he has 4 gig and he also has the same problem.

kerry_s
May 5th, 2015, 07:35 AM
My boyfirend has the same version of ubuntu and he has 4 gig and he also has the same problem.

his vid card might not support the 3d, in which case it fakes it using software rendering, that could tie up the cpu & so it dims.
just a guess though from past experience. he'd probably be happier using xubuntu, you both can do it together. lol

yours i knew right away cause your specs are very close to what i had before i bought some upgrades, only difference is my cpu is atom instead of celeron.