PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we make a FPS game with a single player campaign?

Stefan_Vukanovic
May 3rd, 2015, 10:29 AM
How hard can it be to make a open-source single player game with a good and long campaign? I'm a C/C++ programmer myself and my brother is good at gimping textures. We could use one of the existing game engines, like IoQuake3 (It is old, but I don't think we need fancy graphics), free and open-source tools like Blender 3D and Gimp, Code::Blocks for projects, etc.
It would probably take several months, or even years, but it would be a first such game ever made. Also, it would be fun (at least to me :)).

TheFadedBrit
May 3rd, 2015, 01:45 PM
I'm up for it if you need a story writer or voice actor (too a certain extent for acting)

Stefan_Vukanovic
May 3rd, 2015, 01:54 PM

TheFadedBrit
May 3rd, 2015, 04:59 PM
Glad to be of service

Stefan_Vukanovic
May 4th, 2015, 11:24 AM
I should make an IRC channel about this. Also, can I add u to skype contacts?

user1397
May 5th, 2015, 03:46 AM
I could've sworn there already was an open-source FPS game? Maybe I'm going mad? I can't remember the name...

Stefan_Vukanovic
May 5th, 2015, 06:45 PM
I could've sworn there already was an open-source FPS game? Maybe I'm going mad? I can't remember the name...

There are already several Open-Source games that work under linux, like Nexuiz, OpenArena, Red Eclipse... But none of them has a singleplayer campagin :)

mastablasta
May 6th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Yes what the hell happened to SP mode in FPS?!?! they are so hard to find even proprietary ones. while opensource they only make multiplayer ones. and these rarely have bots. World of padman had SP planned but then it was scrapped.

user1397
May 6th, 2015, 09:54 PM
There are already several Open-Source games that work under linux, like Nexuiz, OpenArena, Red Eclipse... But none of them has a singleplayer campagin :)
Ahhhh that's what it was. Well then given that, why not just take one of those games and make a single player campaign for it instead of starting from scratch?

Stefan_Vukanovic
May 6th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Lets see....
None of them have enemy models, they do have models of bots, but meeting same 5 enemies through the hole game... really? Next, textures. It takes less textures to make a MP game than an SP one. 50 times more. Same for models. Next, maps. I do not think i need to explain this one. Now, if we get only 5% of the game already done and for that our game becomes a mod, really. Look, don't get me wrong, mods are not bad, but "This was the first linux open-source free game ever made" vs "This was first open-source single player mod that works under linux" is really different.
After all, we will be using ID Tech 3, game engine made by ID (actually IoQuake3, its successor based on Quake 3 Arena's open source release) and used in OpenArena and most others. It was made for multiplayer, but as it was proven in RtCW(Return to Castle Wolfenstein) and most of the Star Wars games, it can be used for singleplayer.

user1397
May 6th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Lets see....
None of them have enemy models, they do have models of bots, but meeting same 5 enemies through the hole game... really? Next, textures. It takes less textures to make a MP game than an SP one. 50 times more. Same for models. Next, maps. I do not think i need to explain this one. Now, if we get only 5% of the game already done and for that our game becomes a mod, really. Look, don't get me wrong, mods are not bad, but "This was the first linux open-source free game ever made" vs "This was first open-source single player mod that works under linux" is really different.
After all, we will be using ID Tech 3, game engine made by ID (actually IoQuake3, its successor based on Quake 3 Arena's open source release) and used in OpenArena and most others. It was made for multiplayer, but as it was proven in RtCW(Return to Castle Wolfenstein) and most of the Star Wars games, it can be used for singleplayer.
I gotcha. Well you have me convinced sir! :)

Sableyes
May 6th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Yes what the hell happened to SP mode in FPS?!?! they are so hard to find even proprietary ones.

Plenty of single player closed source FPS's on Linux. My first thought was to reply 'Prey, Half Life, Portal'. A look on Steam and we also have Deadcore, Dead Island, 4089, Metro, Serious Sam 3, Postal 2, Duke Nukem, Chivalry and more. Pretty sure they all have single player.

As for open source, yes, I can only think of 2 possible games. Was Wolfenstein a solo player open source game in the end? Also I vaguely remember a game called something like Saubertron? That I am certain was a single player open source FPS.

Stefan_Vukanovic
May 6th, 2015, 11:27 PM
Free Open-Source Single-Player FPS

Sableyes
May 6th, 2015, 11:30 PM
Yes, I know, free open-source. I was replying to the person whos post I quoted. :)

they are so hard to find even proprietary ones.

Sableyes
May 6th, 2015, 11:37 PM
A quick google and I think this is the game I was thinking of for Open Source.

http://sauerbraten.org/

Sauerbraten. First one used to be in the repos back in Hardy Heron. Had a single player mode which I am certain was not just death match. You chose maps and fought monster hordes I think. Could not say if there was a plot though :(

Stefan_Vukanovic
May 7th, 2015, 12:15 AM
Nope, you choose maps and fight monsters on them, very few maps and around 5-8 monsters i think. Also, no campagin, no plot.

mastablasta
May 7th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Plenty of single player closed source FPS's on Linux. My first thought was to reply 'Prey, Half Life, Portal'. A look on Steam and we also have Deadcore, Dead Island, 4089, Metro, Serious Sam 3, Postal 2, Duke Nukem, Chivalry and more. Pretty sure they all have single player.

As for open source, yes, I can only think of 2 possible games. Was Wolfenstein a solo player open source game in the end? Also I vaguely remember a game called something like Saubertron? That I am certain was a single player open source FPS.

see only a couple of them. most up there are old and mostly they make multiplayer only now.

Wofenstein is not open source. though a cool opensource mod was made for coop and they released the multiplayer part as opensource (Enemy Territory). in any case the game dates way back to the start of the millennium. half life 2 is over 10 years old. so while there are a few recent games there aren't many of them.

Stefan_Vukanovic
May 7th, 2015, 10:27 AM
https://github.com/id-Software/RTCW-SP