PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Cairo-dock and black screen after booting...:(

LK_gandalf_
May 2nd, 2015, 09:41 AM
Hi. I just installed Kubuntu 15.04, everything worked fine, then I installed Cairo-dock to try it. When I reboot now I get the login screen where you can select the graphical interface:
Cairo-dock (GNOME)
GNOME
PLasma
Failsafe

None of these works...I get a black screen, with the cursor of the mouse in the center. The system works if I click ctrl+F1 I get the terminal, but not sure what to do. I already removed cairo-dock, but nothing changes.

Thanks for helping!

Vladlenin5000
May 4th, 2015, 03:05 PM
most easy is reinstall

Indeed. However it won't hurt to know more details about the problem, like exactly HOW was Cairo dock installed... The app shouldn't drag another full desktop environment with it. Unless you previously installed GNOME on top of the freshly installed Kubuntu, Cairo alone shouldn't have done it. And whatever problems you may have now are most likely related to that other DE you installed (and how, again), not with the dock itself.

egeezer
May 4th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Some general problems with the new Kubuntu are outlined here;
http://www.tutorialgeek.net/2015/04/why-you-might-not-want-to-upgrade-to.html

LK_gandalf_
May 9th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I see that the black screen is a common problem then. I also decided to skip this version of Kubuntu, it's a pain, I already reinstalled twice and still get the same issues after a while for no clear reasons.