PDA

View Full Version : With python3 How do I search a csv ditreader for only the name I want?

lance bermudez
May 2nd, 2015, 08:20 AM
I have a grade book that is in csv from desire2learn. I want to have a python3 script read the file with csv.distreader because I do not want to count the 1,000 + row. From this script I can print out only the columns with the data I want but I want to know how to just get one student row['OrgDefinedId'] matching the data in '{:.2f}'.format(float(row['Calculated Final Grade Numerator']))).

the data in the row['OrgDefinedId'] has data looking like #S00012345 this is what I want to put the input funttion to get the student grade from '{:.2f}'.format(float(row['Calculated Final Grade Numerator'])))

import csv
with open('11001.csv') as csvfile:
reader = csv.DictReader(csvfile)
for row in reader:
print('\n',
'S, Last name, First Name, Grade\n'.upper(),
row['OrgDefinedId'],
row['Last Name'],
row['First Name'],
'{:.2f}'.format(float(row['Calculated Final Grade Numerator'])))

What I want to print out from my grade book is just want the final grade with 2 decimanl places to mach the 'OrgDefinedId' I put in by using the input command.
code

Vaphell
May 2nd, 2015, 08:01 PM
if row['OrgDefinedId'] == student:
print( stuff )

?

that said maybe you should consider slurping all students from the file and dumping them to an easily accessible dictionary so you don't have to read a file every time you want something.
It could look something like this

students = {}

with open('11001.csv') as csvfile:
reader = csv.DictReader(csvfile)
for row in reader:
s_id = row['OrgDefinedId']
last = row['Last Name']
first = row['First Name']
grade = float( row['Calculated Final Grade Numerator'] )
students[s_id] = last, first, grade # last, first and grade saved as a tuple under s_id key

selected_student = input('id? ')
if selected_student in students:
last, first, grade = students[selected_student]
print( selected_student, last, first, grade )
else:
print('no such student' )