PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 14.10, Kernel Upgrade, unsuccessful boot

sean_kidder2
May 1st, 2015, 03:52 PM
I am running Ubuntu dual boot (Windows 7/Ubuntu) on a Lenovo Thinkpad, E550, Intel i7, 8GB RAM, all SSD disk. Graphics is a hybrid - Intel HD graphics with an available AMD Radeon card. I recently upgraded to 14.10 with no issues at that time.

Yesterday I allowed software update to upgrade my Linux kernel from 3.16.0-34 to 3.16.0-36. However, after that installation, when I boot normally, I get the normal GRUB screen, but when I select Ubuntu, it goes to aa all purple screen and never proceeds from there.

From the GRUB menu, I can successfully boot when I pick the 3.16.0-34 version. From Google searches and such, I started with assuming that the issues was graphics driver related, so I've been re installing and trying different graphic drivers, but no luck so far.

Any suggestions for how I can address this? Could it be an issue other than graphic drivers? One post I saw about Lenovo seemed to indicate a "low latency" build of the OS would help - but I want to be sure that makes sense before trying something that unique.

Thank you.

sean_kidder2
May 1st, 2015, 07:51 PM
I upgraded to 15.04 and the problem went away - but interestingly enough after the upgrade to 15.04 the default kernel on reboot is 3.16.0-34 - so I'll see what happens if it looks to do a kernel upgrade again.

Frogs Hair
May 2nd, 2015, 02:59 PM
When I did my 15.04 upgrade the kernel from the previous release was removed during clean up, so it might be driver related as you thought.