PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgraded to 15.04 - boots to a frozen screen

jgw
April 28th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I upgraded to 15.04 and, now, it kinda boots to a frozen screen. The screen itself is a mess. The launchpad shows a line of multi-colored boxes. The top is a bunch of multi-colored lines. my mouse moves but nothing else is accessable. My thought is to download the new dvd and simply re-install but thought I would put this up and see if anybody had any thoughts. I have also tried just about every key combination in an effort to see if anything would change - nothing changed. It also takes a long time to boot up and there is an error that goes like; "acpi pcc probe failed. starting version 219" (I have no idea if this has anything to do with anything)

Thank you.................

kc1di
April 28th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Hi jgw,

do you by any chance have a Nvidia video card? if so you'll need to boot with the nomodeset or nouveau.noaccel=1 boot parameter the first time until you can install the proper driver.

ATI/AMD cards also may have similar problems.

jgw
April 29th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Thank you for the reply.

I figured out how to do the nomodeset and the nouveau.noaccel=1. It seemed to almost work but the machine just kept on doing stuff and, eventually, ended up with a black screen. Then I went back in to the grub edit screen and found that "nomodeset" had reverted to "quiet splash". I then went back in and replaced "quiet splash" with "nouveau.noaccel=1". This time it asked me for a password. After I entered that I think it put up another workspace (which I cannot seem to get rid of). As I continued to see what works the screen would go blank/black and then the screen would come back and ask for my password again. Its very strange. Oh, the unity launcher is still full of semi-blank boxes too.

I think my wisest move, at this time, is to revert back to 14.??

kc1di
April 29th, 2015, 09:46 PM
You may be right on 14. I've seen several post about Nvidia cards not working right on 15.04. Good Luck