PDA

View Full Version : I need some kind of word counting tool

primeirocrime
March 29th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Hello fellow Ubunters

I've been searching in the babylonic temples for a word counting tool/app/script but with no luck.
To be specific I need something that counts the number of words, how many times do they apear. Frequency, most repeated words and stuff ackin to statistics.

Is there any Floss tool liike that? I'm using grep in the terminal window but it's not very fast to do what I am planning to do.
I want to analise several different books for a arts project. Any help will be immeasurable*[Y] splendid

*one of the words that repeats over and over in The Lotus Sutra

Cheers to all out there.

negatory
March 29th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Have you tried word count console program?What are you trying to count?A text document?

Pedro Carrico

primeirocrime
March 29th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Have you tried word count console program?What are you trying to count?A text document?

Pedro Carrico
several text documents. actually it's entire books. I trying to find some patterns in words used in religious books [western and eastern] so I'll need a specific tool to do this task. Something that scans the document a retrieves a listing like this:

a -17685954304
be- 34792387490
repeat - 32672
burried - 23
christ - 15
golgota - 2

and also frequency analysis that would be nice.

but I want to do this to something like 15 classical texts maybe more. an I need to have a visual output of the process.
I know that compression tools do this in order to compress text so there must be a kind of tool to do this. wc only gives me total words,

jdodson
March 29th, 2005, 09:32 PM
several text documents. actually it's entire books. I trying to find some patterns in words used in religious books [western and eastern] so I'll need a specific tool to do this task. Something that scans the document a retrieves a listing like this:

a -17685954304
be- 34792387490
repeat - 32672
burried - 23
christ - 15
golgota - 2

and also frequency analysis that would be nice.

but I want to do this to something like 15 classical texts maybe more. an I need to have a visual output of the process.
I know that compression tools do this in order to compress text so there must be a kind of tool to do this. wc only gives me total words,

run this from the console:

man wc

if that isnt what you are looking for i wrote a python script to do what you want, i could send it to you.

primeirocrime
March 29th, 2005, 09:45 PM
http://www.niederlandistik.fu-berlin.de/textstat/software-en.html

check that one out !

I think it's this what I was looking for. :)

but I can still try out you python script. Man I love the web. I have an idea and 5 hours latter there is a way to put it into practice. eh eh eh

thanks negatory and jdodson :)

yay to ubunters

az
March 29th, 2005, 10:29 PM
There is probably a Perl one-liner out there to do what you need.