PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh install - Software centre freezes.

hornetster
April 26th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Ok, bit of a whinge.
Have noticed this over the last few releases, and it's one of the reasons that I have never started using Ubuntu as a permanent desktop. (generally return to Opensuse...)
Fresh install - download updates and the other choice during install (media player files?), login (after a reboot) start installing stuff using Ubuntu Software Centre (including restricted extras), and the Software Centre freezes or force quits. After a couple of reboots/retries, generally seem to get stuff installed, but, to me, this is an example of the "not so confidence inspiring" nature of Ubuntu... And even after that, Software Centre, seems to quit occasionally, for no reason. (Reason for installing Synaptic!)
The other thing that seems to happen with Ubuntu, is the Windows-esque slowing down over time.. (weeks/months), and requiring a rebuild occasionally.
Other than these things (and lack of Admin tools - but Webmin fixes that!), I do quite like Ubuntu, and unlike a lot of people, think that Unity is quite a good GUI.
This has been on a number of COMPLETELY different systems.

Thanks.

OK, have been whinging about this for a while: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2187182
Just did a search through my old threads...