PDA

View Full Version : Makefile problem - file not being found

latte123
April 26th, 2015, 12:38 AM
Hi all -

I'm doing a small operating system using the code from the tutorial on the brokenthorn.com website. Unfortunately that tutorial doesn't include a makefile so I'm having to do that myself.

The code is on Github here -
https://github.com/mooseman/plan_42/tree/master/p42

I've created a makefile but I'm getting this error message -

andy@obsidian ~/plan_42/p42 $ make
nasm -f elf -F stabs Boot1.asm
nasm: fatal: unable to open input file `Boot1.asm'
make: *** [Boot1.o] Error 1

Ok, so it's not finding that file - that's my problem.

Here's the makefile as it is at the moment. I should say that I'm awful at makefiles so my answer to a "why did you do that?" question is likely to be "I don't know.".... :)

CC = g++
LD = g++
NASM = nasm

CFLAGS = -Wall -Wextra -Wno-missing-field-initializers -m32 -O3 -std=c99
LDFLAGS = -m32
NASMFLAGS = -f elf -F stabs

PROG = p42

OBJS = Boot1.o Stage2.o $(PROG).o cpu.o dma.o gdt.o hal.o idt.o

#default: $(PROG)
all: $(PROG)

$(PROG): $(OBJS)
$(LD) $(LFLAGS) $(OBJS) -o $(PROG)

Boot1.o: Boot1.asm
$(NASM) $(NASMFLAGS) Boot1.asm

Stage2.o: Stage2.asm
$(NASM) $(NASMFLAGS) Stage2.asm

cpu.o: cpu.cpp
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) cpu.cpp

dma.o: dma.cpp
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) dma.cpp

gdt.o: gdt.cpp
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) gdt.cpp

hal.o: hal.cpp
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) hal.cpp

idt.o: idt.cpp
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) idt.cpp

SUBDIRS = SysBoot/Stage1 \
SysBoot/Stage2 \
SysCore/Fat12 \
SysCore/FloppyDisk \
SysCore/Hal \
SysCore/Include \
SysCore/Kernel \
SysCore/Keyboard \
SysCore/Lib \
SysCore/proc

VPATH = %.cpp %.c %.asm $(SUBDIRS)

P42SOURCES = cpu.cpp dma.cpp gdt.cpp hal.cpp idt.cpp pic.cpp pit.cpp tss.cpp user.cpp fat12.cpp flpydsk.cpp joco.cpp entry.cpp exception.cpp fsys.cpp main.cpp mmngr_phys.cpp mmngr_virtual.cpp panic.cpp sysapi.cpp task.cpp vmmngr_pde.cpp vmmngr_pte.cpp kybrd.cpp cstd.cpp ctype.c stdio.cpp string.cpp

# ##########

So..... if someone familiar with makefiles is able to help here, that would be very much appreciated! Many thanks in advance -
- latte123

TheFu
April 26th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Please use "code tags" when posting code/commands/output in these forums - also, Makefiles are highly sensitive to tab vs spaces. Using a tab is mandatory for any lines that build targets. Be certain your "editor" isn't helping by swapping tabs for spaces or inserting tabs for some number of spaces.

Also, you can have any file as a makefile - just use make -f whatever-name-for-makefile-that-you-like
Like JCL - most people find a simple example makefile and use that as a template. You should do the same. Be certain you download it, not copy/paste - so the tabs don't get screwed.

Most people would use generic source-->targets for .asm.o and .c.o and .cxx.o - not specific ones like you are showing.

It has been about 15 yrs since I worked in any detail on makefiles, so I can't really help much more. There is a gnu makefile tutorial, methinks too. Google should find it.

steeldriver
April 26th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Is the github yours or a 3rd party? it looks like the source/asm files are in subdirectories, in which case make isn't going to know how to find them (you define SUBDIRS but don't appear to do anything with it)

If that's the case, probably the easiest thing is to move the makefile to the directory containing the files, and run it from there

latte123
April 26th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Hi again -

Thanks very much for your help TheFu and steeldriver!

Sorry for not using the "code" tags..... d'oh..... :)

I'll try to do the generic source->target approach - that sounds good.

I'll also do some more digging on how the "subdirs" thing in Make works.
Yes, the repo shown is in fact mine.

Thanks again - bye for now -
- latte123