PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 15.04 FR (April 23rd 2015): MKusb Installation feedback

MikeMecanic
April 25th, 2015, 11:45 PM
April 25th 2015, Testing Ubuntu 15.04 Final Release

I choose the default installation (New-York-LVM) and running it alone. 4g of RAM on an Intel mobo / Intel® Core™ i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz × 4 / Graphics: Intel® Sandybridge Desktop

This time the installation boot-up at the end but it restart in a black screen. The black screen issue is less an Ubuntu problem then a HP computer one. I have a HP wireless keyboard and was able to solve the problem by pressing the suspend mode button: it came back to normal after pressing a key.

In the first 36 hours, I lost the desktop environment twice (fully frozen): on the same web site (set at 3000kps/Full HD Quality) doing the same thing. Was trying to escape from full screen mode by clicking on the full screen icon (Opera 28 stable). ctrl+alt+delete didn't work (not able to logout). ctrl+alt+F1 work but it was pretty long to reach the terminal. Made $ sudo reboot and it restart normally. Try many new things: Plank (works fine), activated Ubuntu Mate from there web site (not working), the files are there but it does not prompt. Try (not install) Ubuntu Mate on a MKusb iso image (play with the desktop set up) and it was unstable.

Basic Post-Installation was OK. Test the firewall GUFW with a 202 full blended rules (some of them are related to Linux security) and it respond just fine (in and out). Totem new design is nice: play video and music: no problem. Same apply for VLC 2.2.0.

Suspend Mode, Lock Screen (works only with ctrl+Alt+L and not the mouse) and Log Out: Connected or not to Internet respond normally.

Having problems with text size for at least one day: /System Settings/Display/Scale For Menu And Title Bar was frozen to .75 for one day. Not able to change it. Same Apply for /System Settings/Appearance/Launcher Icon Size: in and out or not working properly.

For what reason? It came back to normal the second day. All of this is before I installed Plank and/or trying activating MATE that remains an issue.

Regards,

MikeMecanic
April 25th, 2015, 11:57 PM
After I install Plank, I was not able to restart the computer. Instead, the desktop goes in logout mode and from there only I was able to restart. I just removed Plank (Via Synaptic Package Manager) and things are back to normal.

kerry_s
April 26th, 2015, 12:38 AM
lol, thats 2 down, 3 more to go
1) ubuntu-gnome
2) xubuntu
3) lubuntu
bonus) elementary os

i'm sure you'll find your place eventually.
i'm using xubuntu, cause it works the best on this old hp mini neetbook.

MikeMecanic
April 26th, 2015, 02:43 AM
Curious by nature and born learner, I am not discourage at all. My computer is not a mini but a all-in-one with a HD monitor. It's not that old either: January 2011. It came out of the factory with a black screen problem. I used The Suspend Mode Button to overwrite it and it work . Will buy another later on this fall no doubt about it.:p

Dedicated to test Ubuntu 15.04, I Will reinstall it later (fool around a lot in the terminal: too much maybe). For the rest, it runs better then ever (10.LTS). Running a fresh install (alone), ain't got any major issue: IT'S QUITE AND STABLE. While testing it or I should say using it, I try new stuff that will be there in April 2016.

Take care,

MikeMecanic
May 1st, 2015, 01:26 AM
Made a second installation and because it takes 15 minutes to install 15.04, I made a third one always on a LVM manner. On my second installation, it boot up normally and the Lock Screen Issue was gone with the wind. I got the same issue on NHL Gamecenter (3000Kbps) but CTRL+ALT+F1 responded at the speed of sound: Frozen desktop environment (reboot normally with $ sudo reboot).

I reported that issue to Opera Monday. Tuesday (April 28) will all receive a patch of Opera that moved to 29 (using Chromium Open Project), Google Chrome did the same, moved to 42 + a network patch. The frozen desktop issue is also gone with the wind: Don't be shy to send data usage to Canonical Partners and report such issue to Google or Opera.

Try Ubuntu after install beta 2.6 (works fine): http://itsfoss.com/things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-1504/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=http_itsfosscom_things_to_do_after_in stalling_ubuntu_1504

Running system load indicator 0.4 and Psensor 1.1.3 that responded positively. Finally, on a LVM manner (default installation: alone) and with Opera 29 (Disconnect, Adblock, Ghostery and Browsec), Ubuntu 15.04 is not only quite and stable but it runs faster.
All the best,

http://www.opera.com/computer/linux