PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems to install Ubuntu on MacBook Pro

Drren
April 22nd, 2015, 05:49 PM
Hello everyone !

First of all I'd like to precise the fact that English is not my first language so my apologies for all the mistakes I might make.

So I've recently decided to try Ubuntu, because I wanted to taste the freedom of it ^^, I then went straight to http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop to download Ubuntu 14.04.2 . I created a bootable USB drive following this tutorial (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How%20to%20install%20Ubuntu%20on%20MacBook%20using %20USB%20Stick) and I managed to boot it. So when I boot it I get a black screen for a few seconds and then the following message appears : Could not open "\EFI\BOOT\fallback.efi": 14 . Then another message appears but the following screen appears too fast and I don't have the time to read it. So that next screen is the one on whitch I get to choose between trying Ubuntu whitheout installing it, installing Ubuntu, "OEM install" and "Check disc for defects". So I choose "Install Ubuntu", and after a long moment with a black screen I get the following message : i8042: No controller found. After that the installation freezes and I have to push the power button to restart the computer. I've also tried to test Ubuntu witheout installing it, but that's not possible either.
I then tried to burn a DVD to boot from it but I can't even boot from the DVD, it doesn't even appear in the menu when I press alt while the computer is restarting. I've also tried pressing "c" but that doesn't work.
I've tried so many things that I decided I needed the help of people who know what they are talking about ^^.
For the record I have a MacBook Pro 15" 2,4/2,2 GHz from mid 2007, with a 2,2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB memory.

I really need help, and I really want to install Ubuntu (on Dual Boot I precise)

Thanks for reading !

sgian
April 25th, 2015, 04:45 PM
I know there isn't as good support for old AMD computers like there is for Intel, and I suspect support for old Macs is even worse. I would suggest trying an older version of ubuntu to see if it supports your computer.

Drren
May 2nd, 2015, 12:21 PM
Thanks I'll try that ! But I really would like to fix that problem and use current versions of Ubuntu :/

Drren
May 8th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Apparently the age of the computer is not an issue since some people have installed current versions of ubuntu on even older macs.