PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for New Users to make Linux more Enjoyable!

orb9220
August 2nd, 2006, 12:54 AM
I have noticed the same issues over and over for getting up and running in Ubuntu.
and finding that new persons to linux have the same attitudes as they had towards windows.

This will not work and will only end up in frustration. Why because user's have become
lazy in the use of good computer practices and maintenance of their system's. And having
windows Do everything for them.

Now before you get all defensive and tell me I am being to hard think about it.

Windows has taken away your ability to have it your way. The cost has been that you
do not have control or say on what applications do to your system. Now if you want to
continue to be lazy and not read and learn about linux then maybe you should stick with
windows.

I am not being harsh just a realist that people want to be able to use their system without
becoming a programmer or script kiddie to config their system. Well the truth is that is
probably going to get better but never disappear all together. Linux was never intended
for the masses because of the High Level of customization and security on a low level.

Now for the attitudes adjustments that I had to make to make my experience with linux
enjoyable.

1) Come to understand what HD's and partitions are, Not just enough to get this damn
distro to install. You must get a grasp of how and what is hd0 and a primary versus
a logical and difference's. To understand that even tho I installed linux on 2nd HD I
still have to have the grub on the first hd to boot. Understanding will go a long way
to solving frustration.
2) TERMINAL ! or term YES you will have to learn and use. There will be no exceptions
you will sooner or later have to use it. So start Now.
3) Forums and Google learn how to search first. Stop being lazy expect everyone else to do
your footwork. Over half of new questions I find in doing a forum search. The people
here are great to help and hold your hand but,don't expect them to spoon feed you too.
Use the stickies at the top they are there for a reason.
4) Learn the File system get to know what and where things go. If you right click a package
in synaptic and select properties it will show you where things will be installed.
5) Backup! did I already say it Backup. This will save your system and all installed apps
settings. Unless of course you can't be bothered with it. Then don't expect the people
here in the forums to be concerned with helping you save your system if it was not
important to you before the disaster.
6) And most of all SLOW down the faster you hurry the more likely for problems.
Take the time to read the docs and grasp the concepts before attempting.

Now I am no linux Guru I have been converted to linux for 2-3 weeks. I notice a lot of my
problems stemmed from my attitude shaped by windows mentality. I had to change them
or say to hell with it and go back to windows. I chose to stay and haven't looked back.

I hope you are not angered by this post. If you are then ask yourself why and I assure you
the problem was not me.

aysiu
August 2nd, 2006, 01:49 AM
Installing an operating system (let alone one you're not familiar with) will always leave room for a lot of frustration.

I will say, though, that it's gone fairly painlessly for me, and I am not a programmer or a script kiddie.

josys36
August 2nd, 2006, 01:57 AM
Anyone who is not used to working with computers will have issues getting a linux system up and running. Heck I work on computers all day long and have problems, so I can only imagine what it feels like to be someone on the outside.

My hope is that as linux gets more and more widespread, that linux distros will become easier and easier to use. This way you won't need a PHD to troubleshoot your linux system.

Jason

Uncle Spellbinder
August 2nd, 2006, 02:02 AM
I think I've got 3, 5 and 6 no problem. I've worked hard at 2 and 4 and have come a long way the past couple months and am continuing to work on 1.

It's a wonderful feeling to solve a problem (big or small) without having to search or ask for help from these forums (though I value each and every one of you who volunteer your expertise to the Ubuntu Forums).

deadgobby
August 2nd, 2006, 02:10 AM
Well, for one that Linux is not all M/S Windows. I know the frustration all too well. When I decided to get a new puter and my dislike of Micro *****. I shop around and settle down with a pc from http://www.penguindesktops.com and had a great price. Yet http://www.outpost.com/ has one even cheaper. But, lets get back to topic. The Pc hadLinspire installed on it. Linspire had a basic video program to walk you through the new O/S. It was basic and help learn the Linux curve. However, Linspire is like a close O/S and if you use apt-get it will not let you. Mepis the other hand will and show how too.
The people that are behind of Ubuntu. Work to make a linux O/S as easy as 123. Not to mechen the big help of people of this forum. That is the the main goal behind most of Linux O/S. The pay for Lunix O/S may have the codecs install or you will have to pay for for them. Like Mp3 or DVD. Most linux distros do not have the cash to pay for the rights to use them. If they can afford them they pass the buck to you and want to make a some cash for it. Thus this is why the codecs are not there when you install a Linux distro. Thus some strange *** laws in the world.
You can DL the the codes your self. The linux Distro was following the law. It was the user that decided to DL the codes. Even though there is help to install the codes. Like if you install Automatix. You will or must have seen warning before you install.
well off I go and spend some time with the family. Got to unplug and enjoy.
Gobby

orb9220
August 2nd, 2006, 03:45 AM
"The people that are behind of Ubuntu. Work to make a linux O/S as easy as 123. Not to mechen the big help of people of this forum"

Yep I have to agree I was learning about new distro's out there. And the bottom line was alot of the forums are very weak by comparision and I was floored by the size and response that Ubuntu People have given me.

Muchlly appreciated!

benner
August 2nd, 2006, 04:12 AM
rather than pontificating on how lazy we have all become, perhaps you could use some of that excess of energy that you seem to have to contribute to a beginners guide that explains everything rather than making people feel bad for asking questions. you could provide a link to it in your next post. of course a lot of answers are available with a google search and i bet that a lot of us new folks have looked there. maybe we didn't quite get it. the strength of ubuntu is the community and this is the sole reason why i made the switch. i have no problems with windows and it does everything that i want but it doesn't have the friendly community that welcomes every post and never makes you feel stupid for asking a question.

orb9220
August 2nd, 2006, 04:32 AM
Well benner I am at a lost. Because No Where in the post did I "make people feel bad for asking questions" There is nothing to that. Questions is what makes these forums work. The only stupid question is one that is not asked.

As for the beginners guides that's my point there already many available to answer questions that keep popping up over and over. Why should I write the same information that is already available?

As to contributing about 2/3's of my posts are trying to help others. Because I believe to try to give back more than taking. To try and answer or point them in the direction if I know.

Sorry if you think my post was trying to berate new user, Hell I am a new user to linux even tho I have been in computer field for 30+ years. I still fight bad habits and being lazy about keeping up with reading and learning. I thought we all did.

Don't know why you are angry that was not my intent. Just trying to get peole to think and change so that linux is easier for them.

aysiu
August 2nd, 2006, 04:37 AM
People are angry because of these statements, I'd guess:
Why because user's have become
lazy in the use of good computer practices and maintenance of their system's. And having
windows Do everything for them.
Now if you want to
continue to be lazy and not read and learn about linux then maybe you should stick with
windows.

people want to be able to use their system without
becoming a programmer or script kiddie to config their system.

orb9220
August 2nd, 2006, 04:53 AM
Yes I can see that. But I also believe them to be true.

As I have found alot of the answer's to thier problems in this forum or thru google thru a simple search and read all the threads.

And from my experience with teaching computer's to all kinds of people is that people resist the option to read the docs or practice learning new things on thier computers.

They seem to want to learn only enough to get them by and then down the road they get into trouble for not learning more. I myself have caught myself many times doing that and regretting it. Even now I resist delving more into the depths of how linux works.

This is not a flame the new comer thread but does any of these points apply to me. I know they do to me.

VirtuAlex
August 2nd, 2006, 04:55 AM
6) And most of all SLOW down
I think you've got things upside down in terms of numbering. I mean #6 should go first and so on.

Anyone who is not used to working with computers will have issues getting a linux system up and running
There is always something not up and not running even if you've spend your whole life working with computers. The point is - if you want to make more stuff up and running you still have to learn. No substitutions. Even if all you have to do is just point and click, you have to learn where to point and when to click. I hate ipod because it is too featureless, but I know people who have trouble to use it because they do not want to learn even four clicks. Linux is a little more complex than ipod.

Nathan Otis
August 2nd, 2006, 04:59 AM
But Aysiu, the first two points you quote are true...

Hi there. Name's Nathan. Ubuntu user for a month now. There definately IS a rethinking that needs to occur when one makes the switch from Win to Lin. There's more work to do as well. But for your efforts you get a more open OS, a more stable OS and speaking for myself, a sense of satisfaction because you've come apart from the masses who will not endevor to improve their situation.

Ok, that last bit was a little over the top, but you get the point.
n.

Nathan Otis
August 2nd, 2006, 05:00 AM
sorry for the double post. Not seeing where to delete (... been a long day)

VirtuAlex
August 2nd, 2006, 05:04 AM
They seem to want to learn only enough to get them by and then down the road
That is natural. You cant know everything. I'm still troubleshooting my wireless card, but I'll quit as soon as it starts working. I't is not my intention to learn all the wireless technology. But so far it seems like I have to ;)

SoloSalsa
August 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
I could have guessed those six requirements. And I have most of them covered :-). But I think that several people need to know 1; about hard drives. I've done plenty of file management and partition experiments since my first computer (ten years ago), and I still don't understand some things. If you know about a great 'hard drives and file systems for dummies', and raise publicity, then, yeah, then, obviously that would, help, umm, duh?
Where was I? Oh yeah; when someone makes a guide about hard drives and file systems for dummies, then people will be smarter with Linux (and computing in general), and then we'll see more operating system switches.