PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CCSM is overwriting system settings (Even after removal)

Misterio7
April 20th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Hey everybody, i've spend my whole morning trying to figure this out:

Well, a few hours ago i installed an application named CCSM (CompizConfig Settings Manager).
It just glitched out my desktop, so i tried to uninstall it (Using sudo apt-get remove compizconfig-settings-manager) but even after removal i can't change certain settings!
For example, i can't use system settings to enable launcher auto-hide, nor i can use unity tweak tool to change the launcher color.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~Misterio

PS: It's my first time on this forums, so sorry if i posted in the wrong session.
PS2: And also english is not my first language, sorry if i mispelled something =P

buzzingrobot
April 20th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Perhaps the configuration files created by CCSM need to be removed.

'apt-get remove ....' does not remove any configuration files created by the package you are removing. Try adding '--purge', i.e.,'sudo apt-get remove --purge ...'.

Also, CCSM is just a tool that allows users to easily configure compiz, which is a window manager. Unity is implemented as a plugin to Compiz. So, when you use CCSM, what you are doing is creating config files for compiz.

Log out and back in afterwards.

Misterio7
April 20th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the reply, i'll try that and let you know if it worked.

~Misterio

EDIT: Nope, the problem still persists. =/

mc4man
April 21st, 2015, 03:07 AM
run this & post file, may show something (generally only settings that aren't at defaults

dconf dump /org/compiz/ > setting.txt

Misterio7
April 21st, 2015, 03:39 PM
Here you go: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10861711/
Thanks for helping me ^-^

~Misterio

mc4man
April 21st, 2015, 09:51 PM
Edit: What release of Ubuntu are you on. If 12.04 then ignore below & post that. If 14.04 or newer then read on, ect.

It could be that you've gone & deleted the unity profile & now are running unity on the Default profile which can cause issues & limitations.
Your dconf dump only mentions the Default profile when it should show 2 - example (top 3 lines of my dump

[/]
existing-profiles=['Default', 'unity']
current-profile='unity'

If that's the case then it's probably not straightforward to fix.
To start -
re-install compizconfig-settings-manager
open it up & go > Preferences > Profile
What is it set on ? If on "Default", is "unity" available in the dropdown? If "unity" is available then pick it, wait for a bit then close ccsm out. After that open a terminal & run these 2 commands -

dconf reset -f /org/compiz/

setsid unity

If unity is not available as a profile then please post back with that info

Misterio7
April 22nd, 2015, 06:17 PM
Oh, it does make sense, i'll try that and let you know if it works!
Thanks for your help,

PS: Yeah i'm on 14.04

Misterio7
April 22nd, 2015, 06:19 PM
Ok, Default is selected but i don't see any Unity option on the drop-down menu =/.
Actually there is 2 Default options, apparently if i select one or another nothing happens at all.
~Misterio

mc4man
April 23rd, 2015, 01:24 AM
Well then it's possible to fix. One way I tested was -
Open up a terminal, move to side of screen
Open up ccsm > Preferences, move so you can see the terminal. The idea is you need to get to the terminal no matter what.

In the Preferences window click on the green + button to add a profile, type in unity (that's all lowercase, see screen). Then close ccsm.
In the terminal run the 2 commands I previously posted, after that log out/in. (you may want to write down the commands first.