PDA

View Full Version : System76 recently introduced more affordable products!

Welly Wu
April 19th, 2015, 03:42 AM
FINALLY!

System76 recently introduced their Meerkat and 2015 Lemur Ultra products at affordable prices. It's about time! System76 was well known for their pricey hardware products in the past, but they have fixed that image problem this year. Seriously, why should Ubuntu GNU/Linux certified desktop and notebook PCs be priced out of reach for most people? The goal is to spread Ubuntu love worldwide! I don't plan to purchase either of these products as they don't fit my personal needs, but I am glad that System76 listened to their customers and to the members here at Ubuntu Forums and they finally released more affordably priced products.

user_of_gnomes
April 19th, 2015, 08:58 AM
This must be some kind of North-American OEM? I've never heard of 'm.

user1397
April 19th, 2015, 03:23 PM
This must be some kind of North-American OEM? I've never heard of 'm.
yup, they're based out of Colorado: https://system76.com/

cptrohn
April 19th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Or you can just go to Clevo and buy buy the same hardware there for alot cheaper price for their laptops anyway. ;)

user_of_gnomes
April 19th, 2015, 11:16 PM
yup, they're based out of Colorado: https://system76.com/

I wonder whose laptops they're using. There used to be this company that would gather to people who wanted to "build their own laptops" called Compal.

Pricey stuff but I suppose the entire system will be 100% Ubuntu compatible which is hard to find elsewhere.

Geoffrey_Arndt
April 20th, 2015, 06:06 AM
Or you can just go to Clevo and buy buy the same hardware there for alot cheaper price for their laptops anyway. ;)

Well, that's not exactly true. I recently advised a new forum member here that needed info about about his new Clevo Laptop that I thought was exactly the same as my System Galago UltraPro Laptop. Well, it wasn't the same (even though it was same model and looked identical). Slight hardware variations can be a major issue, and then, it didn't have the System76 drivers (which would not run on his Clevo).

So, bottom line, I'm happy to buy from a small company that focuses in on Ubuntu compatible hardware, and then supports the products very well afterwards.

PS: if the Clevo Laptop already has Win 8 on it - - it is likely a UEFI firmware PC. The System76 model is a traditional MBR BIOS . . . much easier to manage and update (especially for USB or SD portable media booting).

Bucky Ball
April 20th, 2015, 06:13 AM
Prices are better, and I'd probably buy one, but, even though they now ship to overseas countries, they're warranty is not worth the effort. Wonder if they have service centres in Australia which would save the expense of shipping if something goes wrong?

Geoffrey_Arndt
April 20th, 2015, 06:23 AM
Prices are better, and I'd probably buy one, but, even though they now ship to overseas countries, they're warranty is not worth the effort. Wonder if they have service centres in Australia which would save the expense of shipping if something goes wrong?

They might ship branded System76 out of their Taiwan Service Center . . if not, the US Service Center is in City of Industry California . . . isn't that like halfway to Australia anyway?

Bucky Ball
April 20th, 2015, 07:04 AM
They might ship branded System76 out of their Taiwan Service Center . . if not, the US Service Center is in City of Industry California . . . isn't that like halfway to Australia anyway?

Ha, no. Halfway from where? Round the world? Yes. Shipping from and to the US from and to Australia is exorbitant, and that's an understatement.

user1397
April 20th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Shipping to and from anywhere and Australia is quite exorbitant! :P

Bucky Ball
April 20th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Shipping to and from anywhere and Australia is quite exorbitant! :P

Got ya.

Welly Wu
April 24th, 2015, 06:47 AM
This is exactly what System76 needed to do for a long time. By listening to their customers closely, they finally released two new products that are relatively affordably priced. This will help the company to get more attention and exposure and it will serve their business models well by getting more customers to get a taste of their products at a low cost before they make another decision to get more expensive products from the same company over time. Some people just need a basic desktop or notebook PC. There are not a lot of people like myself that are willing to spend more than $7,000.00 USD for a top of the line System76 Bonobo Extreme gaming notebook PC with almost all of the latest and greatest PC hardware components and software products and services. I count myself out as an exception to the rule. The System76 Meerkat is perfect for small businesses and home offices that need a small footprint desktop PC that is versatile in design without compromising on general purpose PC performance that prefer to use Ubuntu 64 bit GNU/Linux in their environments. It's also a good choice for small families or younger students that don't need mobility or portability and they want to share a single and small factor desktop PC together. The System76 2015 Lemur Ultra is a good choice for high school and college students that need to travel and they need mobility and portability while long battery life is a must have feature as well. It's also good for travellers that need to make cross country trips via airplane and they need a smaller form factor that is light and thin enough for long trips to fit into carry on bags. Both products are near perfect for those on a modest budget that want to try Ubuntu GNU/Linux for the first time or even experienced users that want a secondary PC for specialized projects that are reusable.

System76 is now a tier one PC ODM that specializes in making Ubuntu 64 bit GNU/Linux certified PCs and servers in my opinion. They have a complete product portfolio that covers most of the usage case scenarios and different types of customers worldwide. I think that these two new products will help their company to grow faster and larger in the future.

Bucky Ball
April 24th, 2015, 06:54 AM
As I mentioned before, this might offer an inexpensive System76 machine to US consumers, but makes not a jot of difference if you live elsewhere. Ridiculously exorbitant shipping costs from the US and a woeful international warranty means 'as you were' if you live anywhere but the US (or perhaps Canada).

For US customers, though, get excited! I'd probably buy one if I lived in the U S of A. ;)

mastablasta
April 24th, 2015, 08:48 AM
well I know that aside from shipping it to Europe I would need to pay 23% VAT tax+customs duties (dont' know how much they are but I bet around 5% at least).

they should open shops in other countries. otherwise really only good for USA.

as I know shipping from Europe to Austrialia costs about the same as shipping from Europe to USA.