PDA

View Full Version : I cannot execute my update manager

angelina.llonguera
April 18th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Hello,

I have been experiencing this problem for the last two or three days and I would be indeed VERY grateful for some help, as I am new to Ubuntu, am 61 and definitely not gifted for technology > :...whenever I try to open my update manager to see if there is anything to download, I get this message>

S'ha produït un error irresoluble mentre s'inicialitzava la informació de paquets.

Informeu d'aquest error de l'update-manager i incloeu el missatge següent:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise-security_main_i18n_Translation-ca, E:No s'han pogut analitzar o obrir les llistes de paquets o el fitxer d'estat.'

Which, translated from Catalan it reads>

An irresolvable mistake has occurred as the update manager was initializing
Inform update manager about this problem and include the following message...*then it comes a passage in English, and at the end there is one last sentence in Catalan which says THe package lists and the state file has not been able to be analysed...

I tried to use the mouse right button to see if some sort of menu appeared that gave me some options, as I did not know how to @inform the update manager@... but, no, the update manager would simply start and I would keep getting this same message. In fact a stip sign has also appeared on the top bar of my desk...

I have found somewhere that the 12.04 version of Ubuntu I am using is no longer supported, and there I discovered that if I clicked Alt and F2 and type update/manager I go there, but even doing so I always get the same message, so I cannot upgrade any files, and also cannot access a newer version of Ubuntu...I am at a loss on what to do.

Can you help me , please ?? THANKS so much. My email is [snipped]

Kind regards,

Angelina

ian-weisser
April 18th, 2015, 02:48 AM
See http://askubuntu.com/questions/30072/how-do-i-fix-a-problem-with-mergelist-or-status-file-could-not-be-parsed-err for good instructions on how to fix it.
It's very easy to fix in a Terminal.

sammiev
April 18th, 2015, 02:52 AM
I hope you edit your post and delete your email address. You may get a lot of unwanted mail otherwise. :(

oldos2er
April 18th, 2015, 07:47 PM
angelina.llonguera, I've removed your email address from your post, but it may be too late to save you from being spammed by now. We don't do email support, preferring to keep questions and answers here on the forum where they're available for all to benefit from.