PDA

View Full Version : Strange advice from tech support

pfeiffep
April 17th, 2015, 01:25 PM
On Wed. my HP desktop had 12 Microsoft updates along with one for AMD HD graphics which I accepted all. Afterwards my photo editing work flow was crippled (I use Windows for Photo Shop elements and On One's Perfect Photo Suite).
Since On One's advice has always been focused on the graphics I opted to call them for advice. Their answer was no they hadn't heard about this problem with AMD and strongly suggested to completely reinstall Windows 7 to fix the problem.
I really didn't call them for trouble shooting help except in the off case that it was their software misbehaving with the AMD update.

I thought the reinstalling Win 7 was a bit like rebuilding your car's engine rather than changing out the faulty spark plugs!
My solution was thanking them for their time and advice ... then I went straight to the 13 updates and rolled back the AMD update which fixed the problem!

There are some situations that will require an OS reinstall, but offering that as the first step is misguided.

I'm thankful that I pay attention to offered upgrades!

Habitual
April 17th, 2015, 10:47 PM
offering that as the first step is misguided. Agreed. A rookie move.

user1397
April 18th, 2015, 07:19 PM
It's not a bad first step on mobile devices since backing up your data and reinstalling android or iOS can be so fast, but I agree it is definitely quite inconvenient for windows.

HermanAB
April 20th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Actually, 'Reinstall Windows' is not bad advice. When you rerun the Windows installer, it scans the system and only repairs the system - it doesn't actually re-install it completely from scratch the way you think - it is actually by default a 'Repair Install' and it won't delete all your data either.