PDA

View Full Version : evince

Skaperen
April 16th, 2015, 12:38 PM
is there a keyboard or mouse operation in evince (PDF reader) to jump all the way to the top/start of the document?

TheFu
April 16th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Perhaps I don't understand. HOME/END keys work here in evince v3.10.3 (Ubuntu openbox/WM 14.04.2)

BTW - I don't understand your tag, but may be able to help if you explain - did you look at Blackmagic or Hauppauge 1212 devices? Don't understand "i-frame-only" part. Capture the whole video, then grab the i-frames in post.

ajgreeny
April 16th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Try Home and End, just like most other applications.

Skaperen
April 18th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Try Home and End, just like most other applications.
nothing happened with those

TheFu
April 18th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Try reinstalling evince - doubt it will help, but can't hurt.
Check the system key mappings.

Skaperen
April 18th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Perhaps I don't understand. HOME/END keys work here in evince v3.10.3 (Ubuntu openbox/WM 14.04.2)
those did not work for me

BTW - I don't understand your tag, but may be able to help if you explain - did you look at Blackmagic or Hauppauge 1212 devices? Don't understand "i-frame-only" part. Capture the whole video, then grab the i-frames in post.
i want to take SDI-HD input and have each frame individually compressed to a single i-frame (no p-frames) so i can easily play back just selected frames instead of a big group. e.g. GOP=1. this is to minimize the work my CPU needs to do. the card doing the compression so the data size is smaller. all that i have found so far either do full compression to a high GOP level (usually mp4 which is OK) or do no compression at all (handling that data leaves little CPU time to do other stuff and needs 2 disks to keep up with it or needs more RAM).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_pictures

i have seen software that does this .. an editor output for some other OS ... i need to do it in hardware for the injested stream and work with Linux.

i have seen NO support for VP8 or Dirac on the market (not a big issue but these would be easier to work with).

TheFu
April 18th, 2015, 11:53 AM
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudiousb3 ?
" Work with full broadcast quality 10-bit video in compressed and uncompressed quality,"
Their website doesn't say "Linux" for this specific device, but they do support Linux solutions on most others - perhaps it is an oversight on the webpage?

Skaperen
April 19th, 2015, 10:56 AM
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudiousb3 ?
" Work with full broadcast quality 10-bit video in compressed and uncompressed quality,"
Their website doesn't say "Linux" for this specific device, but they do support Linux solutions on most others - perhaps it is an oversight on the webpage?
i don't see enough technical data to see how it does compression

Skaperen
April 19th, 2015, 12:08 PM
i was trying to do it during a search and does not work there.

i tried HOME outside of a search and it went to the first index page ... page 3 of the python library reference PDF. i still need to scroll up from there to get to the real top, where the table of contents is. i was trying to do that search on the table of contents.

TheFu
April 19th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Perhaps if you click with mouse anywhere inside the doc first, then try "HOME"?
If I recall correctly, searches work from the approximate point clicked - either up or down depending on the search direction used.

As to the blackmagic using compression or not. Seems clear to me they do or they don't depending on a setting. These guys provide hardware for professional video production houses.