PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] File copy dialog?

dfrandin
April 15th, 2015, 04:23 PM
I'm on KUbuntu 14.04, and as much as I like KDE/Ubuntu, I'd MUCH prefer Dolphin file copy dialogs to be an *actual* dialog (like Windows) vs the somewhat hidden file copy progress in notifications.. Is there anyway to change this?? Quite annoying to me...

Thanks
Dave

ajgreeny
April 15th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Not sure what you mean. Can you show some screenshots of what you get and what you would prefer.

dfrandin
April 15th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Umm.. Screenshots would be kinda difficult, since I don't have a Windows system to take one on... I'm referring to the KDE notification icon that spins during a filecopy, and the only way you can see a progress bar on the copy is to open notifications. As far as I'm concerned this is one of the less than intelligent design choices for KDE.. What I'd like is something LIKE a standard MSWindows filecopy dialog, that stays visible all the time during the file copy. Older Gnome and now MATE have this by default...

ajgreeny
April 16th, 2015, 04:01 PM
OK, gotcha!

XFCE also has the more usual dialog that I think you are wanting, with a progress bar which fills as the copying happens.

It is so long since I used KDE (version 3.?), that I do not remember what used to show then, and I certainly have no idea now, hence my question.

Rog131
April 16th, 2015, 04:31 PM
How to use dolphin instead of the KDE-notifications to show copying/moving of files: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?61690-How-to-use-dolphin-instead-of-the-KDE-notifications-to-show-copying-moving-of-files

The default is not the only option: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?65305-File-operations-using-Dolphin-Beware-the-Gotchya!&p=350228&viewfull=1#post350228

SeijiSensei
April 16th, 2015, 06:37 PM
I tried the approach in the first of those suggestions. I disabled file transfer notifications by right-clicking the Notifications icon in the task bar and choosing Notification Settings. Uncheck the box for file transfers and save. You'll have to restart plasma-desktop as described in the article, or logout, for the change to take effect. Now I get traditional file transfer dialogs instead of it being reported to Notifications.

Thanks for the tip!

dfrandin
April 17th, 2015, 01:32 AM
I tried the approach in the first of those suggestions. I disabled file transfer notifications by right-clicking the Notifications icon in the task bar and choosing Notification Settings. Uncheck the box for file transfers and save. You'll have to restart plasma-desktop as described in the article, or logout, for the change to take effect. Now I get traditional file transfer dialogs instead of it being reported to Notifications.

Thanks for the tip!

YESS!! This also worked for me... Thanks for the tip!!!!

Dave