PDA

View Full Version : Site Registration??

Slapdash
March 29th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I want to do something for the community but cant afford to pay hosting and reg. for a website at this time. Anyone here know / or are able to help me out?
I want to do this and give what I'm going to do away for free, but i later want to charge for advertising on the site.

If anyone is interested and honest I'm willing to go 50/50 once and if ever the advertising kicks in much later.

jeremy
March 29th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I want to do something for the community but cant afford to pay hosting and reg. for a website at this time. Anyone here know / or are able to help me out?
I want to do this and give what I'm going to do away for free, but i later want to charge for advertising on the site.

If anyone is interested and honest I'm willing to go 50/50 once and if ever the advertising kicks in much later.
what are you thinking of doing?

Slapdash
March 30th, 2005, 07:07 AM
I am creating Ubuntu Linux Training videos ( DivX )
How To's Installing, using software etc. I want to then host these videos for people to register and then download it for free.

bored2k
March 30th, 2005, 07:09 AM
I am creating Ubuntu Linux Training videos ( DivX )
How To's Installing, using software etc. I want to then host these videos for people to register and then download it for free.
That should be interesting .. specially with so many different errors on so different machines .

Slapdash
March 30th, 2005, 07:26 AM
That should be interesting .. specially with so many different errors on so different machines .

Yeah i hear you, it's something I thought about but one has to start somewhere dont you think? It is not only for installations etc. but also for apps. like for instance Gimp or Open Office etc. etc. so they can be more confident in the use thereof.

I just want to create a smoother transition for people from windblows to Linux.
and I feel that it can be my contribution back to the community.

ubuntu_demon
March 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah i hear you, it's something I thought about but one has to start somewhere dont you think? It is not only for installations etc. but also for apps. like for instance Gimp or Open Office etc. etc. so they can be more confident in the use thereof.

I just want to create a smoother transition for people from windblows to Linux.
and I feel that it can be my contribution back to the community.
very ambitious but cool plan!

totalshredder
March 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I really like it; go for it. I can be the pretty woman who says stuff :roll: This is definitely a project that somebody needs to take up. I would suggest making as little ubuntu specific as possible; It would be great if someone from debian or mepis could use it was well! This is; however a high bandwith project, so I would suggest you making a video or two (to show your hoster) and then you'd probably have no problems(as long as they don't suck ;) .)

Good Luck! Heck, if you do good enough of a job it could possibly be included in the help files or something!

Luke

ubuntu_demon
March 30th, 2005, 02:52 PM
use bittorrent to lower the bandwith needs :)

oracledarren
March 30th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Why dont you register the project at sourceforge.net that way you will get web space included and it is free.

Once you project is up and running properly you can look into a domain of your own once your advertising kicks in.

If for example you registered a project called tranvid (rubbish name i know) you will get a web space at tranvid.sourceforge.net

Give it a try :smile:

orion_114
March 30th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Why divx ? Why dont you use flash ? You can create .swf files in OpenOffice.org2 BETA.

totalshredder
March 30th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Why divx ? Why dont you use flash ? You can create .swf files in OpenOffice.org2 BETA.

Wow, I didn't know that; huge plus there!

Why dont you register the project at sourceforge.net that way you will get web space included and it is free.

Would they really let you do that? If they do its a great option and you should go after it. I've never seen something like that on SF though...

Slapdash
March 30th, 2005, 04:17 PM
WOW! Thanks for all the info guys!!!

I'm not going to respond to all individually but thanks for the advice.

I'll try Sourceforge!! I never thought of that! ;)
The reason for DivX is that some of the tutorials the PC will be installing linux ;)
But Flash is also a good idea. i'll see what the quality/ posibillities look like.

totalshredder I really like it; go for it. I can be the pretty woman who says stuff
Bwhahaha

ubuntu_demon
March 30th, 2005, 06:29 PM
WOW! Thanks for all the info guys!!!

I'm not going to respond to all individually but thanks for the advice.

I'll try Sourceforge!! I never thought of that! ;)
The reason for DivX is that some of the tutorials the PC will be installing linux ;)
But Flash is also a good idea. i'll see what the quality/ posibillities look like.

Bwhahaha
or OGG:)

bored2k
March 30th, 2005, 06:50 PM
The problem with divx/xvid would be that before watching them, people would have to have installed w32codecs[linux]/k-lite codec pack[win]/who knows[mac] forehand, While a .swf firefox can easily open them.

I still like divx better, but swf are usually smaller in size .

Slapdash
March 31st, 2005, 07:20 AM
Good point Bored2k, but that is basically only applicable to some Distro's. most have the DivX support "out the box". it is something to think about though as my main Distro is also Ubuntu.

Slapdash
March 31st, 2005, 12:20 PM
Hmm.. Seems like Sourseforge will reject my application due to the fact that its not Software and is actually more CONTENT.

So looks like that option is out of the question