PDA

View Full Version : Xorg and VIA Chrome9 HC IGP

stepan3
April 14th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Hello. I need your help!

I have thin client WYSE x90 with VIA Chrome9 HC IGP graphic card. I want try to start ubuntu live USB. But i have problems with x manager. It seems it did not recognize my video system.
When it starts i se label "Ubuntu" and progress bar. Then i see a lot of gray stripes and screen starts slowly became black. Could you help me? I am very new in Linux.

Million thanks in advance.

tgalati4
April 14th, 2015, 02:48 PM
VIA chipsets can be problematic. What graphics driver are you trying to run?

Try to boot into compatibility mode and see if the VIA openchrome driver is loaded:

tgalati4@Mint17 ~ $ apt-cache search openchrome
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome - X.Org X server -- VIA display driver
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-dbg - X.Org X server -- VIA display driver -- debugging symbols
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-quantal - Transitional package for xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-quantal-dbg - Transitional package for xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-dbg
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-raring - Transitional package for xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-raring-dbg - Transitional package for xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-dbg
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-saucy - Transitional package for xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-saucy-dbg - Transitional package for xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-dbg
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-trusty - Transitional package for xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-trusty-dbg - Transitional package for xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-dbg
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-utopic - X.Org X server -- VIA display driver
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-utopic-dbg - X.Org X server -- VIA display driver -- debugging symbols

No switches to modify with the standard via driver.

tgalati4@Mint17 /lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/via $ modinfo via
filename: /lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/via/via.ko
license: GPL and additional rights
description: VIA Unichrome / Pro
author: Various
srcversion: A9CBDDA730E66AB46EAB071
depends: drm
intree: Y
vermagic: 3.13.0-24-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
signer: Magrathea: Glacier signing key
sig_key: 69:B0:D0:A7:9B:85:D9:06:21:70:6E:8D:06:60:4D:73:0B :35:9F:C0
sig_hashalgo: sha512

Vladlenin5000
April 14th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but lately I've been noticing a huge increase in reports about many issues with old VIA chipsets. Apparently they worked acceptably up to 12.04. The problems seemed to have started in newer kernels.

stepan3
April 14th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I try to run default and xforcevesa. I am very new in Linux.... Just i have this old thin client and decide to try. Slax 6 and Ubuntu 6 i may run live usb. Older versions not.
I try Puppy, DAMN a lot of others. Old Android x86 also may run.